Someone Explain Certified Drivers

9Nails

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
What is the differance between WHQL Certified Drivers, DirectX Certified drivers, Beta Drivers, and drivers that are not in any of the above category?

Which of these drivers are best to install for compatability with new software/games?

And, more importantly, are there any (Gainward) GeForce2 MX DirectX 8.0a certified drivers available? Or any previous version of DirectX... And how do I install them, because I've found WHQL Certified drivers, but they were not DirectX 8.0a certified. I tried to change my display driver to SVGA PCI Adapter, deleted all the GeForce drivers from my system, and then rebooted and installed the new GeForce2 drivers. Still, the DirectX 8.0a's Control Panel, DXDIAG.EXE, said the version I downloaded (6.30 and 7.48) was not certified.

I love everybody, and you're next!

G

A WHQL Certified Driver is a driver that has passed tests performed by Microsoft to ensure the driver functions as it should. DirectX Certified drivers are basically the same thing...only emphasizing DirectX and not the system so much. Beta drivers are drivers that the hardware company is currently making but has not officially released. If a driver isn't one of the above then it's probably just a driver that is "done" (ie not beta) but hasn't been certified by MS.

SlackJaw