Question Someone living in canada to ask

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Hi . I have some questions about buying and shipping from memory express . I have siblings in canada quebec montreal but they aren't familiar with pc stuffs

I was looking for a b660 mortar wifi ddr4 to buy from canada computers but they are all out of stock the only option i have left as far as i know is memory expresa . Correct me if i am wrong

Memory express doesnt have a store for pickup in quebec unfortunately . So its shipping . I am afraid of receiving defective mobo because of how shipping handles and hit the packages

Should i be worried ?

I cant test the mobo until i get it to my country

anyone with a shipping experience from memory express ? Do they pack safely the goods ?

thanks in advance

Hi . I have some questions about buying and shipping from memory express . I have siblings in canada quebec montreal but they aren't familiar with pc stuffs

I was looking for a b660 mortar wifi ddr4 to buy from canada computers but they are all out of stock the only option i have left as far as i know is memory expresa . Correct me if i am wrong

Memory express doesnt have a store for pickup in quebec unfortunately . So its shipping . I am afraid of receiving defective mobo because of how shipping handles and hit the packages

Should i be worried ?

I cant test the mobo until i get it to my country

anyone with a shipping experience from memory express ? Do they pack safely the goods ?

thanks in advance
I'm not Canadian and don't buy from Memory Express. I can only offer some general advice and offer some suggestions you should be able to find out on your own.

First: it doesn't really matter how someone else faired with shipping from any seller. That's because there are way to many variables that contribute to success: the first one is that good packing depends on the person or persons actually doing it. They might have had someone that went too far, you might get someone that just slaps a label on the display carton and tosses it to the shipper. That's the way it is, I've seen way to many motherboard or other products being delivered this way so always keep in mind that "past performance is not a guarantee of future results".

Secondly and probably most important: check the seller for their return policies and only buy from one that has a "satisfaction or we'll accept returns" policy. Two reasons mainly: if someone screws up and puts a fork lift through the box you'll always have recourse to an exchange from the seller if the shipper refuses to accept responsibility (as most do). This gets you out of the argument that goes like this: "it was functioning when we shipped it" (from the seller) vs. "it was packed poorly" (from the shipper) in which you are always the loser. And the second reason: DOA's (Dead on Arrival) are still a thing. Most mfr's expect retailers to handle the first level of warranty response in exchange for a lower bulk cost to them so they get a larger margin in exchange for it. It's usually time limited (two weeks to a few months) so don't dawdle getting your purchase checked out on receipt or you'll end up waiting a couple months for an RMA action to complete under warranty.

Simply put: if Memory Express doesn't have a decent return policy then shop elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: autoblogart

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I'm not Canadian and don't buy from Memory Express. I can only offer some general advice and offer some suggestions you should be able to find out on your own.

First: it doesn't really matter how someone else faired with shipping from any seller. That's because there are way to many variables that contribute to success: the first one is that good packing depends on the person or persons actually doing it. They might have had someone that went too far, you might get someone that just slaps a label on the display carton and tosses it to the shipper. That's the way it is, I've seen way to many motherboard or other products being delivered this way so always keep in mind that "past performance is not a guarantee of future results".

Secondly and probably most important: check the seller for their return policies and only buy from one that has a "satisfaction or we'll accept returns" policy. Two reasons mainly: if someone screws up and puts a fork lift through the box you'll always have recourse to an exchange from the seller if the shipper refuses to accept responsibility (as most do). This gets you out of the argument that goes like this: "it was functioning when we shipped it" (from the seller) vs. "it was packed poorly" (from the shipper) in which you are always the loser. And the second reason: DOA's (Dead on Arrival) are still a thing. Most mfr's expect retailers to handle the first level of warranty response in exchange for a lower bulk cost to them so they get a larger margin in exchange for it. It's usually time limited (two weeks to a few months) so don't dawdle getting your purchase checked out on receipt or you'll end up waiting a couple months for an RMA action to complete under warranty.

Simply put: if Memory Express doesn't have a decent return policy then shop elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply .

I have a friend in usa he can buy for me the pc mobo from microcenter store locally and send it to me to canada. Is this way better ?

Any suggestions on whats the best shipping company that doesnt hurt packages???

Thanks for your reply .

I have a friend in usa he can buy for me the pc mobo from microcenter store locally and send it to me to canada. Is this way better ?

Any suggestions on whats the best shipping company that doesnt hurt packages???
Microcenter has an excellent return policy...even for motherboards. I'd buy from them any time I can. But it IS time limited so you'll probably need your friend to check it out for you. Does he have the necessary hardware? mainly, CPU, memory, PSU and GPU.

He'll have to deal with shipping, you'll have to trust him to pack it well and he can insure it which helps if something happens. And then I have no idea about the issues with importing it to Canada...I imagine he's got to declare it and pay an appropriate duty.

Does Newegg ship into Canada? There are horror stories but my results with them have been good. I'm sure you have Amazon...if you've a Prime account shipping can be free and as well returns for any reason. Compare costs with them.

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Microcenter has an excellent return policy...even for motherboards. I'd buy from them any time I can. But it IS time limited so you'll probably need your friend to check it out for you. Does he have the necessary hardware? mainly, CPU, memory, PSU and GPU.

He'll have to deal with shipping, you'll have to trust him to pack it well and he can insure it which helps if something happens. And then I have no idea about the issues with importing it to Canada...I imagine he's got to declare it and pay an appropriate duty.

Does Newegg ship into Canada? There are horror stories but my results with them have been good. I'm sure you have Amazon...if you've a Prime account shipping can be free and as well returns for any reason. Compare costs with them.
Do you have discord or whatsapp so i can chat with you . Forums are exhausting a bit
I will explain in discord if you have it

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I do not discord...
Anything else beside discord ??

I havw a friend in usa he will be buying mobo + cpu from micro center and send it to canada for my sibblings their then they will bring it with them on plane to where i am . Morocco

Whats the best shipping way from usa st david penselvania to quebec montreal .

One more thing is their any customs duties ?

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I have no idea. I've never shipped anything international and only bought (once) from a Canadian retailer who handled all the details.
In canada there is everything i need . But the mobo is out of stock

I dont want to use either newegg or amazon . They don't handle packages gently and i dont want to headach and resend it to them and stufd. My siblings arent pc guys

Thats the only option i can have now which is from micro center to canada i can pay that 30$ shipping no prob . But the customs is what i am afraid of

B660+12400

I dont want to use either newegg or amazon . They don't handle packages gently and i dont want to headach and resend it to them and stufd
Your best course may be for them to take a trip down to one of the NYC Microcenters. It's a (long) day trip by car. They could also meet your friend halfway...suggest you (or they) reserve it first so you know it will be available. They'll have to deal with declaring it at the Canadian port of entry, I have no idea but have to assume they'll need a receipt to ascertain value and pay a duty/tax of some sort.

EDIT: a quick Google discovered this:

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/rules-crossborder-shopping-between-canada-usa-110063.html

Last edited:

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
HI,
ive bought stuff from memory express in winnipeg but never had anything shipped from them.
try newegg.ca or canadacomputers.ca
they both have good shipping from my experience.
or you must have a london drugs or a best buy near you. order it online and have it shipped to your store.

i founf this on bestbuy's website: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=+b660+mortar
Hi . Thanks for your reply . For the motherboard its out of stock in canada computers .

Newegg fees of are so high and i have heard bad stories from them .

Best buy they only have shipping . I am afraid of every shipping option tbh

The reason why i want to get the mobo by hand from a store is because my siblings that will get it for me . And they arent pc guys at all .

I have a question is their any customs on sending from usa to canada the mobo + cpu only ?? I have a friend in usa that can buy it for me from a usa store and put it in a box and send it

I have a question is their any customs on sending from usa to canada the mobo + cpu only ?? I have a friend in usa that can buy it for me from a usa store and put it in a box and send it
This might help answer some of your questions:

Asking these questions here isn't likely to get helpful answers as the export of electronics rules can be pretty arcane and difficult to grasp for most people, certainly for me.

My suggestion is have them work through an international shipper: someone like FedEx, UPS, DLH, or even USPS, who'll have the necessary export/import licenses and experience in the details. They should also know all the ex/im requirements for personal/private shipments and will make appropriate declarations and collect the correct duties OR claim duty free status if it's due. If you claim duty-free incorrectly, even if it's due, I'm pretty sure it will just be tied up for months and possibly even be forfeited.

Something to keep in mind is they're trying to stop trafficking of electronics/semiconductors that make their way to certain countries in violation of bans. I'd be careful, follow the rules and keep everything utterly kosher.

Last edited:
Reactions: autoblogart

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
This might help answer some of your questions:

Asking these questions here isn't likely to get helpful answers as the export of electronics rules can be pretty arcane and difficult to grasp for most people, certainly for me.

My suggestion is have them work through an international shipper: someone like FedEx, UPS, DLH, or even USPS, who'll have the necessary export/import licenses and experience in the details. They should also know all the ex/im requirements for personal/private shipments and will make appropriate declarations and collect the correct duties OR claim duty free status if it's due. If you claim duty-free incorrectly, even if it's due, I'm pretty sure it will just be tied up for months and possibly even be forfeited.

Something to keep in mind is they're trying to stop trafficking of electronics/semiconductors that make their way to certain countries in violation of bans. I'd be careful, follow the rules and keep everything utterly kosher.
Oh how crazy is that . I guess i will just get it from memory express or wait for restock in canada computers

Do you have a discord or whatsapp . Something i can use to chat with you about some amazon things and newegg if you don't mind

Oh how crazy is that . I guess i will just get it from memory express or wait for restock in canada computers

Do you have a discord or whatsapp . Something i can use to chat with you about some amazon things and newegg if you don't mind
Again: I do not do discord.

And keep in mind, people (not myself) who come on here are quite often professionals who make a good living off of their computer experience and expertise. That they even give this free advice is quite enough so expecting personalized service is a bit over-reaching IMO. It also side-lines the whole purpose of the public forum: to share the problems and solutions so that all may benefit.

And lastly: this is a tricky area, exporting electronics. If you get it wrong they have a name for it: smuggling, a crime in the US for sure, probably Canada too. Nobody wants to go there...the only advice you really need is to let the pro's do it for you, keep it above board. That means: buy from a reputable retailer and have them ship it, have your friend buy it and declare it at port of entry (whoever brings it across) or use a reputable international shipper to make sure it's handled correctly.

Last edited:

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Again: I do not do discord.

And keep in mind, people (not myself) who come on here are quite often professionals who make a good living off of their computer experience and expertise. That they even give this free advice is quite enough so expecting personalized service is a bit over-reaching IMO. It also side-lines the whole purpose of the public forum: to share the problems and solutions so that all may benefit.

And lastly: this is a tricky area, exporting electronics. If you get it wrong they have a name for it: smuggling, a crime in the US for sure, probably Canada too. Nobody wants to go there...the only advice you really need is to let the pro's do it for you, keep it above board. That means: buy from a reputable retailer and have them ship it, have your friend buy it and declare it at port of entry (whoever brings it across) or use a reputable international shipper to make sure it's handled correctly.
1) What is amazon prime and why people are saying its good and why newegg and amazon fees are so high

2) how do you return a defective product from amazon . Do you call them to come pick up the goods and return them? Same for newegg

1) What is amazon prime and why people are saying its good and why newegg and amazon fees are so high

2) how do you return a defective product from amazon . Do you call them to come pick up the goods and return them? Same for newegg
I'd explore their web-site. I'm not trying to say Amazon's perfect but they have a good business model and are executing it fairly well. Amazon Prime is a membership-based buying agreement that gets you several benefits, not the least of which is their streaming TV service. Probably only of value to a Canadian; or more correctly it offers shows and movies specific to each international/regional market.

Other benefits include free shipping and expanded free return options for many items they sell. Free shipping is obvious, free return options mean if you don't like the product for any reason log onto your account on the web site, go to Orders and Returns screen and process a return. Once approved, print a shipping label, usually from a link in the e-mail sent, take the item to a UPS or FedEx shipping location and drop it off at no cost. Once dropped off credit is almost immediately returned to your credit card, in some instances only once the item's received and they confirm.

The full measure of these benefits will probably only accrue to a Canadian customer, at a Canadian IP address in a large metropolitan area. Quebec almost certainly fits the bill so it is your sibling who should be doing this.

They'll still have to deal with declarations on the trip back to your country, of course. Once there returns will be difficult or costly, if not impossible. But that's going to be true of any purchase made in Canada or the US. Your sibling needs to check it out for you, or have it checked out, if that gamble is too great.

https://www.amazon.ca/amazonprime

ADDed: and a couple other tidbits: when buying on-line you're ALWAYS balancing cost against reputation. Amazon's not always cheapest but I'm willing to pay slightly more to buy from them when I know their free-return feature is so reliable and THAT takes away all concerns with rough shipping. Yes I have used it many times (my wife many more) so I know it works well. Also: be aware that Amazon's web price for any item is algorithm-driven. It may change based on how many times you've visited the item, time of day, stock levels, how you navigated to the listing, location of your IP address and who knows, maybe even sunspot activity. I'm pretty sure there's someone who claims they've cracked the algorithm so they always get the cheapest price allowed...I'd be skeptical.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS