Someone Local Selling used MSI 1070 Armor Cards, need opinions

williamtoenges

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
Hey there, like the title said, someone in my area is selling about 16 MSI GTX 1070 Armor cards for about $175 a pop.

From what I could get out of him (as he is being pretty stingy with details), they were workstation GPU's that were in SLI configurations per tower for a company that he's not allowed to disclose info for. They're less than 6 months old (at least the towers were), and they didn't hit a mining rig until he acquired them.

I did ask these questions, to which he only answered number 2:

1. What kind of temps did these reach?

[strike]2. How old are they?[/strike]

3. What was the run time on these cards?

4. Do you have a picture of the setup and rig used with these cards?

5. Were they ever overclocked?

6. Are the fans in decent shape?

7. Is it possible to test drive/run some benchmarks before purchasing?

8. What kind of voltages were they subjected to?

It's all a bit fishy, and I'm definitely not making any moves until until I get more details, but I may have just talked him into acquiring a card to test, look at and benchmark.

My question is what should I be looking for with this card? And what other questions should I be asking?

Edit: He just said he's ok offering a replacement card if the one I get is a dud (reassuring and concerning at the same time), but he also mentioned he didn't want to "warranty" these cards in case someone took it home, OC'd it and burned it out in a week. Knowing that MSI Armor variant anything is designed and engineered with OC-ing in mind, it's a little concerning that he think's his stock isn't capable of being OC'd for a week. I'm not looking to OC anyway, but I did tell him everything I just posted.

Other than the rediculiously low price, is there ANYTHING else that stands out as a red flag? In other words, if the seller's asking price had been higher, would you have even started this thread?

The fact that he has 16 1070's for sale just screams "miner!" to me!

TRENDING THREADS