Someone please aplaud me

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
Someone, anyone, please aplaud me, say "good job!", "way to go", ANYTHING for what I went through over the last 10 or so hours. Yes, I actually upgraded my motherboard without having to reinstall Windows 2000. For the first 7 hours, I was trying to get W2K to stop giving me inaccessible boot device errors... After the 7th hour, I got Windows to boot, but with no mouse or keyboard (wow, an awful lot that login prompt did me). Then, an hour later the Mouse came (w00t!) and finally, the keyboard! Then came reinstalling drivers, putting in the remainder of my hard disks, making a Ghost image of the Windows partition in this working state, etc... And I'm finally, FINALLY done. NO need to reinstall Windows. NO need to reformat. Mwa ha ha ha ha! Now I'm enjoying my shiny P4 2.0A GHz just innocently sitting in my motherboard not knowing what awaits it tomorrow.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'll look forward to your post in a couple of days when it all goes tits up :)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
>How did you get it to finally come up after the 7 hours of
>IBD?

Well, first I tried half a dozen or so "officially supported" fixes from Microsoft. Needless to say, none of them worked. Then I found a page on the Microsoft Knowledge Base that had an unsupported fix. It led me as far as the login screen without a mouse or keyboard. I then found another website which had directions for a fix which also led me to the same condition login as with the Microsoft fix.

So finally I decided to try something else. I removed just about EVERYTHING from Device Manager that Windows allowed me to. Removing the USB drivers made Windows install the oens from the new motherboard and hence I got a Mouse. Then, finally, by some stroke of luck after removing just about everything else, I got keyboard.

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
All in all this was a learning experience for me. I expected the upgrade to go as smoothly as it did with Windows 98. I never expected W2K to be such a bitch when it came to upgrading hardware.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
wow, sorry, but i could find tons of other things to do with 7+ hours, sheesh. i'm guessing it wasn't so easy for the fact that the software isn't setup to be configured for one hardware config, then be placed in a different one. win98 is the equivalent of a dumb ass blonde- it'll take anything it can get, it doesn't know the difference. w2k carries a lot more system info, services and tasks.

[insert philosophical statement here]

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I hope it stays stable for you. It is good to see you try to fix the problem instead of reinstalling which
is easier but nothing is learned. I bet you could do it faster now. Let us know how it does.

<font color=green><b>Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened! :eek:

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
Yup. I was naive enough to think that a motherboard upgrade in Win2k would be as easy as it was back in 9x. Everything seems stable now, so I'm quite happy. Though while booting up is almost instantaneous now, Windows just seems to take quite a bit more time to shut down. While with my 1Ghz Athlon, Windows wouldn't take more than a few seconds, it now takes somewhere in the area of 10-20 seconds, oddly enough.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
So finally I decided to try something else. I removed just about EVERYTHING from Device Manager that Windows allowed me to. Removing the USB drivers made Windows install the oens from the new motherboard and hence I got a Mouse. Then, finally, by some stroke of luck after removing just about everything else, I got keyboard
This is the key to the palace. I've swapped motherboards on 3 seperate win2k installs. Each time I simply deleted everything possible from device manager right before shutting it down and swapping boards. And each time it came up in safe mode, found new devices about 8 million times (sometimes asking for drivers, sometimes not) and seemed to work perfectly in only a couple hours of driver installing and tweaking. A m/b upgrade in w2k can be as easy as 98.. just have to massage it right. :)

Oh, and GOOD JOB!! :D

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
>I'll look forward to your post in a couple of days when it
>all goes tits up :)

Well, I wouldn't say tits up, but I did have an... interesting experience just now. Unlike my old A7V133 motherboard which had two extra EIDE slots, this motherboard only has two, so with my three hard disks, CD Writer and DVD-ROM, something had to be left out. Up to this point I had my DVD-ROM drive plugged in, but decided to swap in my CD-Writer so I could free up some space. When I restarted with it, first thing I noticed was I had no keyboard support at the login screen. Now where did I see that before? o_o

Ok... So I restart, and I have the keyboard back, but this time Windows acts like it's trying to pass a kidney stone. 1 second passes, click, it reads a bit from a hard disk again.. Another second passes, and click again... etc, etc. This continues for over 12 minutes before I turn off my computer.

So I unplug the CD-Writer, reboot, and all is dandy again.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hahaha
seee?

always 'boom' tomorrow :wink:

ive found that each and every mobo ive had is special... each with their own pecularities and phobias.

and of course... drivers, drivers, drivers!
cant have enuf up to date drivers :smile:

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

G

Alright, I have done simular but I found after a while it falls in a heap, so while you can, save your goodies, format and re-install the o/s. This will save you the time of finding out for your self my friend. Its a progressive failure over time, tempt the M$ devil if you may!

<A HREF="http://www.koalanet.com/australian-slang.html" target="_new">Aussie slang</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 06/07/02 00:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>