Here are my specs:
-850mhz Athlon Thunderbird-
-256mb PC-133 Kingston ram-
-Epox 8KTA3 Mainboard-
-40gb 7200/100 Maxtor HD-
-Leadtek Geforce 2 DH MX Pro-
-Aopen 16x Slot loading DVD Rom-
-Hewlett Packard 8x4x32 CD Burner-
-Not sure what it's called, but I have an ISA card that allows my cable modem to be plugged into it.-
-Antec 300watt case-

Anyways here's my problem:
I just built my new computer today. Everything went fine. I installed windows 98 sec ed, my new comp booted into windows fine. Then I installed the drivers for my scanner and then I installed the drivers for my Leadtek geforce 2 mx pro. All installs went fine and I was asked to reboot. I did, then a normal boot-up occured, the computer checked the floppy, scanned the HD, etc. The windows 98 screen popped up (the one that says windows 98 and has the blue colored loading bar thing) after that, the comp displayed a bunch of other numbers and at the bottom of the screen it said "Veryifing VMI Pool data" then the screen turns black. Nothing just black. Any idea what's going on?

Another thing, don't know if it is a related problem; During the windows 98 install it reboots a number of times, when it auto rebooted, the computer wouldn't really reboot. The monitor would turn off and I'd have to press the power botton to reboot it.

I hope someone can help, again thanks in advanced to anyone who can help.

-jono

G

Check and see if you can boot into safe mode, I think you boot into safe mode before it checks the DMI pool data

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Noticed you either did not mention it or you did not do it but you need to install the drivers for your mobo, Win98 does not have full support for newer chipsets, therefore you have to install drivers provided by the mobo manufacturer to address IRQ, DMI, AGP and many many more potential issues.

G

I CAN boot into safe mode. When I did, I checked out the system in control panel. I found multiple copies of the same device (the Geforce 2) installed. I removed them all and rebooted, it loaded into windows with out a problem and installed the drivers for the geforce. Then it gives me the option to reboot. If a choose no, then I can go into regular windows, but If I reboot I get the same black screen and monitor turn-off when I reboot.

Hope this information provides some more resources for those helping me.
-thanks
jono

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to:

-Not sure what it's called, but I have an ISA card that allows my cable modem to be plugged into it.-
that would be called a network card or NIC for short.

I am thinking you are having a major Irq conflict here. It boots into safe mode that is a good thing.Boot into safe mode and change your geforce to sandard pci graphics adapter. Then remove all your cards except for your video card. This means your NIC and your sound card ( which you did not list, is it onboard?) disable unused ports such as com1 and com2. Reboot and then install the latest via 4n1 drivers vers 4.28. Reboot again and install the drivers for your video card. After all is running well then install your sound card ( or enable it in bios if it is onboard). Keep up with this one at a time and post your results and we will try to help.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Ok I'm gonna try what you said:

"Boot into safe mode and change your geforce to sandard pci graphics adapter. Then remove all your cards except for your video card. This means your NIC and your sound card ( which you did not list, is it onboard?) disable unused ports such as com1 and com2. Reboot and then install the latest via 4n1 drivers vers 4.28. Reboot again and install the drivers for your video card. After all is running well then install your sound card ( or enable it in bios if it is onboard)."

More questions:
How would I go about changing the video card into a standard pci adapter?
The sound is on board, it's the ac97 I believe. I assume I dissable that from the bios?
And, to disable the different ports, I go through the bios right?

-thanks
jono

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in reply to:

How would I go about changing the video card into a standard pci adapter?

After boot into safe mode first make sure you have only one adapter installed, remove all duplicates. Assuming that you indeed only have one the gforce, click on it and then select upgrade driver. then select show all hardware, then select standard pci graphics adapter.

mycomputer>contol panel>system>device manager>display adapters>gforcecard(assuming only one adapter is present)>driver>update driver>specify loaction>display loaction in a specific >show all hardware>then select standard pci graphices adapter. then when promted reboot

in reply to:

The sound is on board, it's the ac97 I believe. I assume I dissable that from the bios?
And, to disable the different ports, I go through the bios right?

yes

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I must sound like a complete idiot, but I can't find the ports in bios. What tabs should I look for?

G

Update-
I removed my NIC and got rid of it in windows.
I switched the geforce 2 to a standard pci (like you suggested). I can now boot up into windows. Then I went into bios and disabled the on-board audio and went into windows and removed it from the controlpanel>system. I then disabled the Com 1 and Com 2 ports in the controlpanel>system, in windows, by checking the disable hardware box.
What else do I need to do? Anything else I need to disable in bios? What else do I need to disable in windows?
Could you post a link to the newest via 4n1 drivers? I only have 4.25a and can't find 4.28.

thanks again

G

I've looked and looked but cannot find the com ports in the bios. Ahhhh! Can you give me hint to where they are?

Thanks for taking time and helping me. I appreciate it very, very much!
-JON

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BicThePen on 02/17/01 04:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I installed the new via drivers, then removed the com ports in windows and disabled them in the bios (serial port is the same thing right?) After windows booted up I installed my leadtek drivers and I got the same black screen. Is there an order to this? Maybe I didn't do it in the right order.

-thanks
jon

G

Here is some more info, when I go into control panel>system>device manager>computer>view resources tab

Interrupt Request (IRQ)
00 - system timer
01 - Keyboard
02 - Standard Floppy Controller
06 - Standard Floppy Disk Controller
07 - ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
08 - System CMOS/real time clock
10 - SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
11 - ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
12 - PS/2 Compatable Mouse Port
13 - Numeric Data Processor
14 - VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
14 - Primary IDE Controller (duel fifo)
15 - VIA Bus Master PCI IDE controller
15 - Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)

When I click on the Direct Memory Access (DMA) bullet, it displays the following:

02 - Programable Interrupt Controller
03 - ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
04 - Direct Memory Access Controller

I hope someone can make use of this information cause I'm baffled by it. It looks to me, I'm only guessing, is that there are multiple IRQ conflicts, but if thats the case I have no idea how to fix it.

Jonathan the Jinxed

G

OK, I just reformated the HD and reinstalled windows. I then installed the new Via Drivers again. Reboot and installed the Leadtek drivers, same thing again. Black screen after windows spash. I'm going to install the detonator drivers and see if those work. Anyone have any more ideas, I'm determined to get this puppy working tonight.
Could the my CD burner be conflicting with the card or my dvd drive? I have the DVD drive set master and the Burner set to slave in IDE 1 and the hard drive is set up in 2.

I am so lost. I will post back and tell if you if the detenators work.

G

Yay! The dets worked! Everything is running fine now, turn out it was the LeadTek drivers (they must have been incapadable with the motherboard or something). Thanks to every one that helped me out, espically ncongneto. I have a few more problems with the system, but at least it's working (sorta)!

Here are the two problems-
I have an ISA network card for my cable modem. When Install it it doesn't wanna work. Odd... It conflicts with the sound which is in IRQ 5, I switched it to the only free IRQ I have (9) but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Next, when ever I try and shutdown the computer, it does everything normal screen turns off and everything, but the computer doesn't turn off. Anyone have a solution?

thanks again! x 50

-jon