Someone please help me...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hello everyone, I have just recieved a sapphire 5970 a couple weeks ago and im finding out that im not getting anywhere near the performance that others are getting, my current setup is, MA770T-ud3p (770 chipset) 4gb ddr3 mushkin gaming ram, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, haf 932 amd edition case, 700 watt rocketfish psu, now I just phoned the dealer where I got my 5970 from, and he says that forsure its my motherboard and he said im only getting about 60 percent the performance that I should be getting, he pointed out a board for me, but i would like to ask around in this brilliant forum for other thoughts before i drop another 200 dollars. if anyone has any advice or input that would be great!!! and i have also checked and both gpu's are running on the card. thank you

Maybe the card is defective. Maybe it gets too hot and causes that problem. Did you try running the fan speed at a steady 50% ? That might help keep the card at a steady temperature therefore not letting it get so hot it needs to ramp up the fan to compensate. I did that to a 4870.. 37%.. and the card ran a steady temp........ you could actually touch the back of the card if you know what I mean. Here you have 2 gpu's on one card. I bet it gets hot spots without you realizing it. Worth a try, no ?.......... and you don't have to spend $200 to get a good board. That's misleading on his part.

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
the card actually stays nice and cool :) around 60 degrees while gaming and i leave the fan at 50 percent. what i just noticed my fps shoots down when im in heavy lighting areas?? i am also thinking it could very well be my power supply. i can play dirt 2 and get results like everyone else with avg framerate around 72 with maxed settings so that should tell me the card is fine, but yet when i play gta 4 my card is dipping down to 20 at some spots??? and crysis same thing!! i can get around 55 fps in certain areas but when i get tons of lighting and action boom down to 18 or so. and i realize that certain parts of the game do dip but i know that it shouldnt go that low. very frustrating. if my card was broke wouldnt i notice it on all other games? call of juarez 2 smooth, dirt 2 smooth, etc.????? and also in vantage my fps in first test is 61 and second one is 64.??

I just came from newegg and read all the reviews... not just the 5 eggers. A lot of people are having problems with these. Some of them are oriented to the problems you are having. Read one where Crysis got a low of 16fps. Sound familiar. maybe these aren't such grand things after all.

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
the 770 chipset is totally good and upgrade to 790 will gain very little performance.
there's bottleneck and i am not sure what it is but don't expect to get the same performance as in the reviews. your psu is enough if it's contineous 700w.
the fsp should not be a problem even if your 5970 is bottlenecked a bit. if you see somthing such as lagging for 2 seconds then that's the card's problem. rma it or live with it. and 60% bottlenecking is totally reasonable. that simple.

TRENDING THREADS