Someone Please Help!! Microsoft could not even help me.

Richiez

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Hi all,

So the problem I am having is that my computyer wont reach proper internet speeds, i have fibreoptic and its wired via Cat6 cable, my brothers computer is here beside me and his tests are coming in at 100+ every time and his using wireless?? wtf, and im only getting between 5-8mbps when i do speed tests...

I dont know but i think it may be a problem with the windows settings or motherboard settings perhaps?
There is a steady orange light on the motherboard where the eithernet cable is plugged in.
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z:
Eithernet connection: Intel(R) 82583V Gigabit Network Connection

I have been on to microsoft and they fed me a load of waffle and sent me useless links to their website, I'm just hoping someone can advise me here please.

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

Hi

Things to try before looking at Windows problems

Try your brothers PC using your ethernet cable
this checks ethernet port on router/switch and cable if his PC still at full speed

if your brothers PC slows down try a different port and a different ethernet cable

Is the orange light on your PC near ethernet port or the router/switch ?
what speed does orange light signify? (10/100/1000 mb/s)

regards
Mike Barnes

Feb 15, 2015
"Microsoft couldn't help me.."

I am shocked, shocked I tell you..

:)

You should also take a look at the cable and the jacks it plugs into at both ends; make sure there is no apparent physical damage and that the plugs "click" when you insert them in the jacks, and perhaps try another cable.

Richiez

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
The crazy thing aswell is, i just did a spped test with that eithernet cable plugged into a 6-7 year old block of a thing and speeds over 100+... and my 2k PC can get over 10mbps:D my life sucks...

Does anyone know anything about ethernet Status? what should each of them be set to?
Any help is much appricaiated..
IM TEARING MY HAIR OUT HERE :D