Dec 7, 2017
Specs
i7 7700k
MSI Z270 Gaming M5
16GB Corsair Vengance
MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Samsung 650 Evo 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
EVGA 850 B3 (Now replaced with a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W)

PC has been working fine until a few months ago. I pushed the power button and nothing happened, no fans spinning no other sounds or lights. The only sign of power is the blue Clear CMOS light on the rear I/O. This made me think the PSU was still working.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging all the motherboard cables and removed the graphics card. I've tried resetting the CMOS too. I posted about it on this site and was told it'll probably be the PSU that was dead.

I've finally been able to get a new PSU, it's a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w. I believe this is a good PSU to buy. I plugged it in using all new cables it was supplied with. But the PC still refused to boot, no sign of power at all. I checked the plugs multiple times to be sure I wasn't missing any simple errors.
I gave up for the night and went to bed, when I woke up the PC had somehow booted during the night. I'd left the graphics unplugged so I swapped the HDMI cable to the motherboard output and everything was working fine. I allowed it to complete updates to Windows and shutdown the system. I reconnected the graphics card, pushed the power button and everything worked fine for a few hours while I updated my Steam library and again turned off the system.

A couple of days later I went to use the computer and again nothing is working. The only sign of power is the blue Clear CMOS light on the rear I/O. I thought the power switch on the case might be the problem so I ordered an external power/reset switch from Amazon.

This morning I plugged in the new switch and still it won't boot, I've checked the new switch is connected correctly a few times and everything seems fine.

The only thing I can of now is that the Motherboard is faulty. Does anyone have any other ideas as to the problem because I'm at a complete loss here.

Solution
This is a tough one. Try removing one stick of RAM and the HD, leaving only the boot SSD to see if you can boot to rule out a RAM issue. Do it with both sticks of RAM seperatly. Also remove the CMOS battery and place it back and then try to boot. Finally disengage the GPU and try to boot directly to the i7's on board GPU. Hopefully others will jump in with some suggestions..
This is a tough one. Try removing one stick of RAM and the HD, leaving only the boot SSD to see if you can boot to rule out a RAM issue. Do it with both sticks of RAM seperatly. Also remove the CMOS battery and place it back and then try to boot. Finally disengage the GPU and try to boot directly to the i7's on board GPU. Hopefully others will jump in with some suggestions..

Solution