Question Something Fishy with Norton

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
I have five pc's on a Norton account. One of them says I need browser protection with the red x, it is not the one I opened the account from.
That machine like the other 3 are happily displaying the green check mark.
Any help as to why will be a step ahead of Norton. Can't fin anything but buy me info . . .

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks guys.

Same OS, Win 10's "latest and not as greatest as they think" of roughly a month ago.

I don't want to install anything. They are telling me I have to install one to get my green check back on the Norton tray icon.

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
mdd1963 - The question is not how do I know if it is installed, it is not.

My system tray Norton icon has a red X, when I open Norton to see what is going on I am told me "Browsing at Risk". To fix it I am requested to install Safe Web.

This is only on one of five machines under this license . . .

Do the other systems have an "N" icon in Chrome indicating the browser security extension is/was added at some point? If so, that's why the one is complaining. You may, of course, stare at/ignore the red X as long as you choose to vice installing the free extension/supplement to their suite that you paid for/installed if you so choose, of course

Many of the assorted 'total security suites' push the browser extensions/add-ons, along with password managers, etc., these days....

Reactions: digitalgriffin

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
One of the reasons I dearly, dearly love the new Windows Security as implemented under Windows 10, Version 1809 and onward.

It competes with the best of them in independent tests, see:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas (360 Protection Testing Category)

for starters, and doesn't push VPNs, browser add-ons (at least not constantly, and accepts if you say "No" without showing your security as compromised in the suite icon), etc.

Something would have to change radically for me to go back to any third party security suite at this juncture.

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
mdd1963 - You seem to be confused.

1.) I don't want to install anything for my browser from Norton.
2.) I have never installed anything for my browser from Norton.
3.) The problem is one of five computers that as far as software is concerned are identical.

The question again, why just one?

britechguy - my service ends in May 2020, Norton can @#$% my rear after that unless they continue to shove crap in my face I have checked "Don't show this again", it could be sooner!
I blame it on LifeLock, I had no problems until they showed up. Now it is buy this, your at risk if you don't buy that.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not that I'm trying to discourage you from seeking help here, as that's perfectly reasonable, but have you written to Norton's own support? This is something they should be able to answer, even if it takes a couple of days to get it.

I suspect, as does @rgd1101, that there is probably some arcane setting under Norton that is different on the one machine than the others, and once found and tweaked would make "all right with the world" again. I don't want to hear, "But I didn't set anything differently!," because that's truly not the point, these sorts of weirdness do sometimes occur sans user intervention of any sort. I cannot count the number of times I've run into situations where a "burp" during install left one setting that's typically unset still set, or vice versa.

Also, not that I like throwing money away, but at some point if this is not resolved to your satisfaction you need to ask is the stress worth it. I've chucked software because "the care and feeding" of same simply was not worth it - period.

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Hey Brian,
Not a peep out of Norton other than offering 3 more months to turn auto renew back on on the software when open and in my spam box now.
I have to say it, I did not set anything differently from when I installed it in back in May - - - 2018.
First time I have opened it up since setting it up, back in May - - - 2018 . . . ;>)
Still, you could be right, we have all seen it elsewhere so even the "mighty" Norton could burp a little indigestion.

The game plan is Windows latest security after the subscription runs out. Just wondering if it was something fishy going on and if anybody else had hooked it.