Question Something happened to my display.

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
I installed Metro 2033 on steam today. After clicking play an ”input not supprted” window appeared with audio still playing, I immediately realized it was a resolution issue so i forced restart my pc. However when the windows loaded the ”input not supported” appeared again. This was very strange and i supposed the GPU driver was faulty. I quickly booted in safe mode and used DDU to remove my display driver driver. Then i turned on my pc normally and it worked but when i tried to reinstall the drivers the ”input not supported” window appeared again midway through driver installation. I am stuck in this situation, my pc works fine when display driver is unsinstalled but when i try to reinstall it the error screen reappears. Please help.

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Boot your pc in safe mode with vga enable. Set the resolution to just above 1000x700 or something and restart. Your game, i think set resolution to high for your monitor
Ok but i have no idea how to use safe mode with vga enable, i do know how to go to normal safe mode tho, and after i boot in the pc where do i change the resolution settings?

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Right click on desktop, display settings and then you can change the resolution
But wait i can already access my pc even without safe mod/low resolution mode as long as i dont have drivers installed. The second i install an nvidia driver the screen goes black with the error message and then i have to DDU the drivers again.

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Sor
The second you install the drivers, it sets the resolution higher. With safe mode, you can adjust it with drivers installed
Sorry for so many questions but i am super dumb when it comes to tech stuff. Can u please tell me the exact steps i should take? I have no gpu drivers so i enter the pc with low-resolution mod and then chnage the resolution and then reinstall the drivers? is this what i am supposed to do

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Install the gpu drivers, when the screen goes out. Restart the pc, press f8 for options. Select safe mode with vga enabled. Windows will start. Right click on empty space on screen. Properties, change resolution. Choose a 1000x700. Restart the pc. What monitor do you have? Exact name and model. On the back of the screen will be a sticker with all the details. Post it here

Reactions: Fiorezy

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Install the gpu drivers, when the screen goes out. Restart the pc, press f8 for options. Select safe mode with vga enabled. Windows will start. Right click on empty space on screen. Properties, change resolution. Choose a 1000x700. Restart the pc. What monitor do you have? Exact name and model. On the back of the screen will be a sticker with all the details. Post it here
Alright so i installed the drivers and when the screen went black with the ”error” message i hit restart, i turned on the pc in low resolution mode and it kinda worked for a while. The windows loaded and instead of showing the ”input error” screen it showed me the password screen but the second i typed the password the error reappeared. i tried this many times with the same results. (for summary) In normal booting up the error appears immediately after the windows load (like expected) but in low-res mod it does not show the error screen until i write the password. So something is causing the resolution to go up when i enter the password. Is there anything i can do?
Btw its an acer lcd.

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Excact monitor model. Check the back of your monitor. What is your full system specs. Mobo, gpu, cpu, ram and speed, psu model and age, and do you have any oc going on?
acer b193b
8gb ddr2
gt 1030 gddr5
q9400 2.67 Ghz
No oc.
I kinda have an idea. If by some way i set a task schedule through some app to automatically change my resolution to something like 800x600 next time i turn on my pc, could that work? Since everything in the background runs normally. I could set the task in safe mod and then turn on the pc normally. what do u think?

The problem appeared after trying to play a heavy game and not before. DDU did not help and even logging to windows is having errors.
I don't think you have a software issue, rather than hardware.

Try another monitor and another cable if possible and see if you still have the problem.

Also a new installation of windows (maybe in a spare drive) will make things easier to determine what's at fault here. If everything works after the clean install, then it's software but not GPU drivers (windows corruption, game corruption, generic drive issues). If you still have issues, then it's definitely hardware related and most probably a dying GPU (which may have been pushed to hard by the game).

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
The problem appeared after trying to play a heavy game and not before. DDU did not help and even logging to windows is having errors.
I don't think you have a software issue, rather than hardware.

Try another monitor and another cable if possible and see if you still have the problem.

Also a new installation of windows (maybe in a spare drive) will make things easier to determine what's at fault here. If everything works after the clean install, then it's software but not GPU drivers (windows corruption, game corruption, generic drive issues). If you still have issues, then it's definitely hardware related and most probably a dying GPU (which may have been pushed to hard by the game).
I am quite sure the issue isnt with hardware. I always keep track of my gpu temps, performance and it was working just fine seconds before i turned on this game. metro 2033 is an old game that i can certainly run even with my intergrated chipset, not to mention ive played very gpu intensive games before without issues, some even gave me resolution issues but it was nothing DDU couldnt fix.
There are only two options left for me now. Ill attach it to a bigger lcd or reinstall windows. I also have a theory that its not a resolution issue but the refresh rate is raised by gpu drivers but i am not sure.

TRENDING THREADS