Question Something in Windows is pulling down my OC

Apr 16, 2020
Hi.. I've had my i5-9600k at a stable overclock of 5000mhz for a couple months now. A few times recently I noticed the system running at stock cpu boost (4300mhz), but a quick restart always fixed. Now as of yesterday, after my computer boots to Win10, the overclock drops back down to stock.

In BIOS (MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON) the overclock is running and all settings remain unchanged. When Win10 first boots, if i start CPUZ immediately I can see the CPU running at 5000mhz, but after 5-10s when all processes are up and running it drops to stock and stays there. Can't seem to figure it out?

things I've checked:
Win10 power options - running High Performance
Disabled MSI dragon center to ensure that wasn't pulling down the overclock with software (it never did before)
Renamed mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll from this fix:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2837706/overclock-cpu-windows-home.html
20 comments
Enabled and disabled a few start up programs checking to see if any of them were involved and they do not seem to be. All of them are running before the system drops to stock clocks.

Win10 task manager performance monitor is all out of sorts with numbers. When system boots it shows me at 6800mhz (obviously not) and then drops at the same time my CPU speed drops to clock speeds and shows 5.3 to 5.7mhz. Again, during this time CPUZ shows it running at 5ghz right after windows boots then drops to stock boost of 4.3ghz.

Anyone have any other ideas? I don't think it's a BIOS problem based on how it is occuring.

EDIT------PC Specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (overclocked 2101Mhz Core 4304Mhz Memory)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz (previously overclocked 5Ghz)
Memory: 32 GB RAM (3200MHz CL16 16-20-20-38 via XMP profile)
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 144Hz
Operating system: Win10 64Bit

EDIT2------
Xbox game bar, which i use for the chat functionality, has a performance window that shows my CPU running at 5000mhz disagreeing with CPUZ

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020
In further troubleshooting i uninstalled "CoreTemp" and it seems to have resolved the problem. This was also one of the last of my start up programs to run, but I was getting 5000mhz readings from it on start up before they dropped to stock clocks. Starting without that program I am no longer dropping to stock clocks. I don't understand the correlation tho, given I don't think you can manipulate CPU clocks with that application?

EDIT1 --- may have been mistaken. This stopped the instant downclocks, but once the system went under load (ie a game), it reverted to stock boost clock.

No clue.

Last edited: