[SOLVED] Something interesting is happening with my hdd.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
I have an 2TB external toshiba hdd.One day out of nowhere some games started to lag.I narrowed it down to being a hdd problem because, if i move the game directory to any other disc,everything runs fine.The interesting part is, ive noticed the lag spikes occuring every time when the game needs to load an asset, it could be anything,an icon for an item,any visual effects,sound effects etc. but once the files have been loaded everything is going smoothly.ive tried to check the disk trough cmd, checked properties to find any potential errors even tried troubleshooting it to no effect.So can anyone more educated than me help me out? Thanks in advance

Solution
Ok, we know its a toshiba drive

is it usb 2.0, 3.0?
what is the spindle speed?

Most external drives will stop the spindle if there are no read and writes, which causes lag once you need something off it since it has to spin the drive up each time. Depending on the connection interface you might be limited on transfer speeds as well.

Between these two it will cause lag during games.

External drives are really only good for storage and transfer files between computers.

is it usb 2.0, 3.0?

Most external drives will stop the spindle if there are no read and writes, which causes lag once you need something off it since it has to spin the drive up each time. Depending on the connection interface you might be limited on transfer speeds as well.

External drives are really only good for storage and transfer files between computers.

Solution

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020

is it usb 2.0, 3.0?

spindle speed is 5400
and its usb 3.0

the thing is, the hdd was working pretty good until one moment when it randomly decided not to.theres 1.3tb of free space left too.