Question something is not right with my rig ?

Oct 8, 2021
hello, i have been having this reoccurring issue with my newer build. what happens is i notice it jag for a small instant. mostly when gaming but i feel i have noticed it in windows desktop or on internet as well. it is the slightest of hiccups but it really grinds my gears when i notice it. i notice it with apex legends, rdr2, farcry6, ac valhalla and borderlands 3. however. it either doesn't happen in destiny 2 or i don't notice it as much except for maybe menus sometimes.

I have tried many things including clean install of windows on a new drive. clean install of gpu drivers via DDU. i have current chipset and bios updates. i have xmp activated with my ram at 3600 and i have tried capping the voltage and lowering speeds as well. lowering graphics settings and making fps limiters and i still get minor drops no matter if the game is at 144fps or 60fps it always will go down 2 or 3 and i notice the "hiccup" if you will. does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this? i have little software due to clean installing windows and problem still persisted after i tried a game after my clean install with minimal add ons.

my specs are
Motherboard-Msi mpg x570 gaming plus
Cpu-Ryzen 5600x
Cpu cooler- Noctua dh-15
Gpu- Nvidia Rtx 3060(12gb)
Ram-16gb dual channel Crucial Ballistix ddr4 3600 w/ xmp enabled
Psu-Corsair Cx750m
Storage-m.2 500gb for OS, 250 ssd, 3tb hdd
Diplay-Msi Mag273r 144hz ips. display port. not officially g-sync compatible. tried on/off and didn't fix issue.
Os-Windows 10 up to date

Oct 8, 2021
Are these games you're experiencing this on ssd or hdd? What rpm speed is that hdd if games are on it?
I had some on hdd but about a week or 2 ago I bought another ssd m.2 and I moved all games off of hdd to my ssd’s. It did make a difference but I still don’t have smooth clean play. Eventually I am gonna not use hdd at all anymore or anything but now I just use it for photos and music and some other small software.

Oct 8, 2021
I think I may have figured it out. I think I got a bad ram module. Not sure what happened to it. But one stick passes mem test 86 and the other won’t even boot mem test 86. I got some new ram on the way and I’m going to put those in my system and see what happens.

Oct 8, 2021
Did you try each stick in a2 slot when booting memtest? Leaving ram in 3rd slot on it's own to boot is not ideal configuration.
yeah I did each of them by themselves and put them in the a2 slot. one ran all passes with no errors. and the second one which i put in a2 and b2 as well wouldn't even let me boot mem test. it seems like my one module is the culprit. but unfortunately I won't know that until I try new ram. i am hoping its the ram and not my board or cpu. what are your thoughts on that?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with your findings and most like faulty ram module. Have you tried seeing if same pauses happen with one module installed? Performance obviously won't be as good but just to see if what looks like instability pauses still persists.

Reactions: Slaxel
Oct 8, 2021
I agree with your findings and most like faulty ram module. Have you tried seeing if same pauses happen with one module installed? Performance obviously won't be as good but just to see if what looks like instability pauses still persists.
I didn’t try any of my AAA games like new far cry or rdr2 I jsut assumed 8gb ram would
Be sub par for those games and might see the same jag possibly worse. But then again I wonder if that was always the issue. System said I had 16gb ram. And it showed speeds and timings but that module was all screwed up and i have been having this issue for about 2 months now. And I’m wondering if it’s been running as hindered held back ram this whole time haha. Especially when A lot of my games process like 9000- 10800 ram Cause I use beefy graphics haha

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021
I will keep the thread updated. I’m waiting to try new ram. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. And I like how you put that” instability pauses” that’s a perfect way to describe it since they aren’t huge game breaking dips. Or crashes. Jsut annoying reoccurring jitter jags haha