[SOLVED] Something is SERIOUSLY Wrong With My PC

May 24, 2019
Here's the story: Was playing Borderlands 2, kept crashing. None of the fixes worked. Chrome tabs kept crashing (Hardware acceleration is on) with the "Aw, Snap!" error. YouTube especially suffered from this. Got a few BSODs. Gave up trying to fix it. I thought it was a GPU issue. Today I come back to it and my desktop is unusable, it crashes every few minutes. Here are the specs and the list of error codes I've seen:

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XXg6Cb
Running Windows 10 Education

System_service_exception
Critical_process_died twice
Irql_not_less_or_equal
Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
"Your PC/device needs to be repaired" screen on boot and actually shut off after waiting on this screen for a few minutes, it booted normally upon retrying
Attempted_to_write_to_readonly_memory

I can't keep the PC on long enough to download and run 3DMark to see if the GPU is crapping out. I was able to use GPU-Z and didn't see any issues. I reinstalled the latest drivers for my GPU as well, didn't fix it. What component/driver would be causing this issue? Or is it Windows itself? I'm in dire need of help here. Thank you.

Solution
sounds like the mobo does not like that ram speed. it may say it is supported, but that does not mean 100% it will work.

try backing it up 1 step from 3000 mhz and see if that helps. slightly slower won't do much overall
May 24, 2019
IMO because of the IRQ error. IMO the others point to a possible issue with your drive, however page file errors or bad read back and forth from RAM could act the same.

Is the RAM on your QVL list? Running at a motherboard supported frequency?
Yes, both on Corsair's website and on my motherboard's QVL list my RAM is supported and running at a supported speed. Before I actually wasn't using the right RAM or a supported speed and had similar issues, but not this severe. I'm running the windows memory diagnostic now, no issues so far.

May 24, 2019
Perhaps try and reseat the RAM?
I'll try that once the diagnostic finishes. You mentioned that there's a chance that something is wrong with my drive, it'd be my SSD then since I boot to windows on that. Any way to confirm/deny that?
Edit: I've run CrystalDisk to test it a few times, read/write speeds are consistent and where they should be. I haven't done that for a couple days though.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can boot to a linux live disk which loads into ram and bypasses the ssd. if you still have crashing issues, then it is hardware related and the ram becomes the big suspect. if it does not have any problems with the live disk, then it points to your ssd itself or the windows install on it as being the problem since the problem would then be tied to the drive and not the other hardware which worked with the live disk.

May 24, 2019
Oh well I found something. I ran the memory diagnostic at the given stock clock speed when you pop the RAM into the motherboard (2133mhz). No hardware problems found. I'm running it again at 3000mhz (supported by motherboard and the max clock speed of the RAM) and it instantly said there were hardware problems detected. ????

May 24, 2019
I have run into similar problems. Try the 28xx/29xx settings and see what you get.
Guess that'll be what I have to do. I have heard that ASUS motherboards can't handle fast RAM with Ryzen, I'm not sure why. I'll just have to figure out the fastest stable RAM speed I can use. Not ideal, but if it works it works, considering I've been through 6 sticks of RAM so far because of this same issue.

May 24, 2019
I have run into similar problems. Try the 28xx/29xx settings and see what you get.
sounds like the mobo does not like that ram speed. it may say it is supported, but that does not mean 100% it will work.

try backing it up 1 step from 3000 mhz and see if that helps. slightly slower won't do much overall
Yep, running stable at 2933 mhz. Thank you!

Reactions: punkncat

Dugimodo

Distinguished
It's not just Asus, I have a Gigabyte board, a ryzen 2700X, and SniperX DDR4 3200 RAM and if I set it over 2933 the system is unstable. Worth noting that 2933 is the fastest officially supported RAM speed of Ryzen 2xxx CPUs and anything faster is an overclock and not guaranteed to work. It does seem like a lot of people clock much faster without issues of course, but it didn't work for me.