Question Something is wrong with my system

bigferdi

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
I have been experiencing something strange about my new rig since i built it.
Anytime i take out any hardware from my system ,i need to take out cmos battery to be able to boot again.Example is taking out my gpu to clean out dust.Motherboard is on latest update bios
FULL SYSTEM
I5 8400
Msi z370 gaming plus
Corsair ddr4 3000mhz rgb pro
512 ssd
Thermaltake smart 600w psu
Phanteks etoo pro case
Gygabyte gtx 1070 8gb
Everything is stock ,nothing overclocked
Please help will be appreciated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It is odd for the pc to do that and the engineering reasons why is out of reach for me and probably most people here. Simplest solution would be not remove anything when cleaning and just use compressed air out side toward the whole pc every now and then, few times a year. I like your enthusiasm but can make do without dismantling parts.

bigferdi

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
It is odd for the pc to do that and the engineering reasons why is out of reach for me and probably most people here. Simplest solution would be not remove anything when cleaning and just use compressed air out side toward the whole pc every now and then, few times a year. I like your enthusiasm but can make do without dismantling parts.
Any idea why that’s happening?

bigferdi

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
All just

just got home after 2dayz of Not powering on and its not booting
Now im suspecting its a ram issue...I unplugged psu cable again and replugged and now it gave me overclock failed all settings have been restored...i went into bios and realized Xmp is still on but ram has defaulted to stock 2133mhz.
Can it be the ram?

bigferdi

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
Try each stick individually in each RAM slot to see if problems occur or not. This would show whether it is a problem with one of the sticks, on of the slots, or neither.
Alright will try that...have noticed if i turn off xmp and dismantle parts ,it’s able to boot.
Issue happens again when i re enable xmp.
Will try with xmp enabled on one stick to check if issue will happen again.
Thanks for your help

Very weird. Download memtest86 (https://www.memtest86.com/index.html). Create a bootable image onto a USB. Simply use Rufus, on the top drop-down menu I believe it is, you can choose FreeDos, ReactOS etc. Here choose the .IMG from Memtest. Create the bootable drive, then put it into the PC, boot into (either boot menu or changing priority in the BIOS) Memtest, then run a test. This will test your RAM to look for any problems.

Note - once you are done with the bootable USB, you can simply format it, you aren't stuck with Memtest86 on it forever ;)

bigferdi

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
  • I
  • Very weird. Download memtest86 (https://www.memtest86.com/index.html). Create a bootable image onto a USB. Simply use Rufus, on the top drop-down menu I believe it is, you can choose FreeDos, ReactOS etc. Here choose the .IMG from Memtest. Create the bootable drive, then put it into the PC, boot into (either boot menu or changing priority in the BIOS) Memtest, then run a test. This will test your RAM to look for any problems.

Note - once you are done with the bootable USB, you can simply format it, you aren't stuck with Memtest86 on it forever ;)
    thanks buddy will try and get back to you

Reactions: ConanLock
Jul 26, 2019
I would recommend resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and replacing it (Note: This will make Windows unbootable. You will need a recovery media to boot into safe mode to get Windows to boot again),