Something is wrong with my Windows

calebjkim13

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Recently, I stupidly tried to edit my registry and messed up my computer. I now cannot open any .exe files or many windows related programs. When I do a warning appears saying windows cannot find (program name) please make sure you typed it in correctly. I cannot restore my computer because I don't have a drive partition and I can't make one because I can't open the file I need to use in order to make it. I noticed I can't run things as administrator (for example, I can open windows power shell as a user, but when I try to run it as an administrator it never opens. I have tried to reinstall windows, but apparently my product key isn't working.
Note: I didn't use the product key that came with the box because I couldn't find it
I instead used this website http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/
I used the first option of finding my key without software.

You should never go around messing with Registry if you aren't sure of what you're doing..... I'm sure you already know that so I'm not going to nag you any further. Use this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555067/en-us

May this be a lesson?

calebjkim13

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

When I try to run command.com it says "Windows cannot find 'command.com'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again."

what should I do now?

and yes I realize how dumb it was of me to mess with Registry.

calebjkim13

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I can't do that because I cant create a drive partition

There's an alternative to that first step: Press the Windows key (the one with the logo) and then R. After a little box appears write cmd and press Enter. That should do it.

Werkrat

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
You don't restore from separate partitions. You restore from system restore points.

Click start icon
type system restore, hit enter
Follow prompts to restore from a restore point before you edited the registry

calebjkim13

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

ok, I can do everything up to 4, when I type copy "regedit.exe regedit.com" it says the system cannot find the file specified.

What did you actually do in regedit o.0!? At this point an OS reinstallation would be your best bet.