Question Something killed my motherboard and its is about to kill my second.

Nov 24, 2022
Hello.

Apparently this not a simple case. I have been looking for 2 months now and have been ignored on 3 different forums.

As I am using my PC the screen goes black and it comes back on with a "no signal" message. After a restart all is well, I thought. The fifth time this happened the restart did not do anything. After a day of swapping parts and all I figured out that the motherboard was dead. I ordered a new one, installed it and played happily for 80 minutes, then it happened again.

Here is what I gathered so far:
  • it is not the display, because it happened on a TV as well
  • it is not a power surge in the room, because it happened at an another house
  • it is not a PSU issue, because I already swapped to a brand new (also upped from 650W to 750W)
  • it is not a motherboard issue because I already swapped that too
  • I cleaned everything and changed the CPU paste
  • doubt it is temp issue, because it happened 3 times while idling and I was able to play a cryengine game for hours between the first 5 crashes.
  • fans are all spinning, cable connections have been triple checked

My PC:
6years old PC, i7700k, gtx1080, 2x8gb corsair ddr4, 3x Seagate green HDD, 1x Samsung SSD, brand new Asus Z170 pro mobo and EVGA PSU.

Pls help, I have no idea what to do. The 3 PC repair shops that are within reasonable distance are all notoriously incompetent. They have the audacity to tell you "We don't know what is the issue, but you still gotta pay" and they take weeks.

Could it be software related after all?

Nov 24, 2022
That was my first thought too, but then I realized that it was not just the PCI port that died but the entire motherboard. I tested a different, weaker GPU back then in both of the slots of my old motherboard neither that not the integrated gpu worked. Few more hours until I can start working on it. I will post updates.

No animals inside, I also cleaned everything and swapped the paste before installing the current (new) mobo 3 weeks ago.

Fans work fine, double checked.

Last edited: