Question Something moving inside PSU making a ticking noise.

Jul 25, 2019
The noise started as a clicking noise in the last few weeks and has suddenly become worse. It starts to happen after I start to play a game for a short while and doesn't stop until I shut down the PC. I have a Corsair RMx 850W. Does anyone know what the problem is?

(Sorry for the poor video at the moment, I was in a rush before work.)

View: https://youtu.be/-Av6VjpoG8k

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
It's clearly that thing that keeps moving inside the PSU each click, but it's hard to see what that is from the video.

Generally, unless it's something with the fan catching (which it could be if the PSU is heating up during gaming/etc), clicking is considered a bad thing for anything except a mouse. If it's not the fan, replace the PSU ASAP.

Your model comes with a 10-Year warranty from Corsair. So if it's defective, just have them replace it :)

Jul 25, 2019
It's clearly that thing that keeps moving inside the PSU each click, but it's hard to see what that is from the video.

Generally, unless it's something with the fan catching (which it could be if the PSU is heating up during gaming/etc), clicking is considered a bad thing for anything except a mouse. If it's not the fan, replace the PSU ASAP.

Your model comes with a 10-Year warranty from Corsair. So if it's defective, just have them replace it :)
Yes, it is that making the noise. I'm just unsure what it is that's moving. It starts happening after about a hour of gaming. I wonder what has caused it.

I'm in the process of getting my replacement but thank you for the reply.:)