something not right with fps

jlmusgraves

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
something wrong with my computer. can someone please help me find the problem.
Intel core 2 quad cpu Q9300 @ 2.50ghz
4gig ram
gtx 460
i want to play metro last light but with all setting on low i cant get more than 10 fps.
what do i need to do to get to 40 fps?
(drivers are updated)

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Yes, the GPU is a bit behind and 4GB isn't optimal either, but your above min required specs. I can imagine your GPU is struggling the most, so an upgrade to a 7870 or GTX 660Ti (or higher) would be around the kind of GPU you would want.

8GB a minimum amount of RAM for gaming? 4GB would be the minimum right now, (to ensure playable performance) but it is still possible with 2GB. Higher than 8GB (which I would say is optimal) at the moment is a little overkill and will probably be a good 12-18 months before anymore than 8 is necessary for is gaming.

jlmusgraves

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
so im getting the 7870, does it matter what brand. if so which one?
also i only have two slot for memory can u get 4 gig sticks? and could you please give me a link to what ram i should buy?

Sczw

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Get some 2x4 sticks and your good to go.
Your system sounds a bit old. Is your ram slot DDR2 or DDR3? As there is a performance difference, but upgrading your GPU is the main focus.

jlmusgraves

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Ok so my gtx460 is horrible and I can't find out why. In every game during cu tscenes it stutters really bad. And I'm just not happy with the perfomance. I should be getting better fps. So I took out the gpu and put in a radeon 6670 and it is way way better . I know this sbouldnt be the case and that the gtx 460 should outperform the radeon. So what's up with my gtx?
Ac blackflag:
Gtx=12fps
Radeon=35 to 40
And its like this for all games
gtx is 768mb
radoeon is 1gig.

switched out cards and did driversweeper and put back on gtx with latest driver. still the same. stutters bad during the begining when the logos pop up and during all cutscenes. gameplay doesnt seem to stutter to bad but not getting the fps i should be getting. pls help me....
btw. have 600w power supply (corsair cx600)

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

The 460 could be starting to fail. How long have you had it? Have you OC'ed in the past?

The latest Nvidia drivers haven't really been kind to 400 and 500 series GPUs, rolling back to 314.22 would be a good start

The general response from people on this forum is always "go buy this new thing", it'd be best to find out what's wrong with your system first. If all the driver fixes and rolling back don't help, then that would be a good time to consider swapping the GPU

TRENDING THREADS