[SOLVED] Something (not sure what) crashes while watching videos on new PC and screen turns black for a few seconds then resumes normal

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
  • MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY ATX
  • Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF BOX
  • Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - Black
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3070 VISION OC 8GB GDDR6
  • Kingston A2000 1TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
  • Toshiba DT02ABA400 4TB 5400rpm 3.5 HDD
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80 Plus Gold TT Premium Edition Fully Modular PSU

Windows an GPU drivers are up to date.

It never happens even when I am streaming Cyberpunk. But when I am watching videos, could be youtube, "researching with materials", or watching my OBS recording with media player classic, sometimes both of my monitors will turn completely dark but the audio still plays like nothing happens. A few seconds later it will turn back to normal. But some Chrome tabs with players in them (like twitch) will become dark too (just the tab) and I have to refresh for them to show properly and OBS will become a white window and I need to restart that too..

I checked reliability history and this is what I get. (it was installed with Traditional Chinese windows 10 and I changed it to English causing something to remain Chinese and others being English)

Description
您的硬體發生問題,導致 Windows 停止正常運作。 (Your hardware is having problems, causing windows to stop working properly)

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
代碼: 141
參數 1: ffffbd08fcadb460
參數 2: fffff807307b372c
參數 3: 0
參數 4: 5a4
作業系統版本: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
產品: 768_1
作業系統版本: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
地區設定識別碼: 3076

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere_3D
Server information: 6c934837-bc5d-4588-a402-bbf68629e446

Is it actually my hardwares having problem? Is it drivers?

Solution
Can it rule out hardware failing? Since if its hardware I need to ask for a replacement soon.
Yes - if you still experience crashes after a reformat, your GPU has a problem.
One very unlikely possibility is a problem with your HDMI cable or screen and HDCP causing said crashes. If you still experience said crashes after the reformat, try another cable (often faulty) and screen (your TV would do in a pinch) as an ultimate check.
This really looks like the GPU driver resetting itself when crashing. It's quite original that it only affects video, though.
Considering the crap that can come with a store install, a Chinese one on top of that, I would suggest a format and reinstall.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
This really looks like the GPU driver resetting itself when crashing. It's quite original that it only affects video, though.
Considering the crap that can come with a store install, a Chinese one on top of that, I would suggest a format and reinstall.
Can it rule out hardware failing? Since if its hardware I need to ask for a replacement soon.

One very unlikely possibility is a problem with your HDMI cable or screen and HDCP causing said crashes. If you still experience said crashes after the reformat, try another cable (often faulty) and screen (your TV would do in a pinch) as an ultimate check.

Solution

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Wait, the cable can cause windows to record the crash? I also have 2 monitor and when it crashes both crashes.

Also I am in Hong Kong so a Chinese installation is the norm.

Wait, the cable can cause windows to record the crash? I also have 2 monitor and when it crashes both crashes.

Also I am in Hong Kong so a Chinese installation is the norm.
It can cause HDCP to hang - this impacts video playback only. One of your screens or cables could have a faulty contact, or one of your screens a failing HDCP decoder, causing video playback to hang and thus snowballing your display driver.
I would still recommend a reformat, using a Win10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
It can cause HDCP to hang - this impacts video playback only. One of your screens or cables could have a faulty contact, or one of your screens a failing HDCP decoder, causing video playback to hang and thus snowballing your display driver.
I would still recommend a reformat, using a Win10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft.
That actually sound like something I can try, because I am using 3070 so it only has HDMI ports, and one of my monitor is dvi/vga port only so I am using a adapter to change the dvi into HDMI to insert into my 3070. As a result of the weight, the port going into my 3070 is actually quite titled.

Last edited:
That actually sound like something I can try, because I am using 3070 so it only has HDMI ports, and one of my monitor is dvi/vga port only so I am using a adapter to change the dic into HDMI to insert into my 3070. As a result of the weight, the port going into my 3070 is actually quite titled.
Yeah, both could be troublesome. I'd recommend keeping only the HDMI display plugged in and change the HDMI cable for further tests.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Yeah, both could be troublesome. I'd recommend keeping only the HDMI display plugged in and change the HDMI cable for further tests.
Ok, it has to be the cable, I give the adapter some support so it doesnt bend downwards that much and no such crashes for 2 days now. Now I just need to wait for my new monitor to arrive. Thanks.