Something Shocking...

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Literally. I finished putting together this build (Here) and everything works great. I have the OS installed and everything. I have one issue though. When I touch the metal, I get a low voltage continuous shock kinda like when you put a battery on your tongue. What could be causing this and how do I fix it? Thanks!

It sounds like you have some kind of short in the system. Did you install the standoffs between the motherboard and case? Are you sure there are no standoffs installed that don't line up with a hole in the motherboard?

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Alright, I unplugged it from the location I had it and instead plugged it into a portable transformer we had in the basement. I think it's just a grounding problem in that area of the workshop.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Reminds me of an install I did in a factory... Installed a PLC and associated electronics in a rack, plugged it in to mains. Wouldn't run. Scratched head for a while, finally checked outlet. There was 15VAC differential between the power gnd and the bldg gnd. Got facilities MGR, he proudly showed me bldg gnd... Bonded to a large CI water input pipe. But 2 meters away, there was a 2 meter length of PVC connecting a new-ish water conditioning system between the bldg gnd and the water mains....

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks guys. I'm about ready to move it to my desk, and I know the outlets there are good. I'm stoked my first build came out so well.