Question Something very strange is happening with my GPU

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Hello there fellas,

I have a POWERCOLOR R9 290X which is overheating and it's downclocking itself since A LONG TIME.

One year ago I gave my GPU to a local PC shop to completely re-paste it. They told me all the thermal pads were melted, and they were basically stuck to the PCB. They used WD-40 electrical cleaner to clean it.
They changed the thermal paste (with I don't know what, I know they work with MX 2) and the thermal pads.
The card was running at maximum 77C for 1-2 days then it AGAIN started running at 94C.

Should I give the GPU to another shop so they can fix their 'mess' as I got told that they might've put the wrong size thermal pads (by that I mean they were either too thick or less).

I need your opinion on this.
Cheers!

One year ago I gave my GPU to a local PC shop...
They changed the thermal paste...and the thermal pads.
The card was running at maximum 77C for 1-2 days then it AGAIN started running at 94C.
i would have said to take it back to them and have them fix the issue but since you've waited another year they may just state that you've been over-taxing the card and re-created the issue, whether you actually have or not.

if you can find a definite report of the size thermal pads this specific card uses just buy them and do the job yourself.
i wouldn't be paying anyone to do work on such an old and low performance card.
if you're into modern PC gaming at all i'd definitely say that it is time to start saving towards some modern upgrades for sure.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
i would have said to take it back to them and have them fix the issue but since you've waited another year they may just state that you've been over-taxing the card and re-created the issue, whether you actually have or not.

if you can find a definite report of the size thermal pads this specific card uses just buy them and do the job yourself.
i wouldn't be paying anyone to do work on such an old and low performance card.
if you're into modern PC gaming at all i'd definitely say that it is time to start saving towards some modern upgrades for sure.

The fact is that I have no idea what is going on with the temperatures. It makes no sense. It ran pretty well for 1 day then it jumped back up to 94c out of nowhere (I ran stress tests, and I spent more than 5 hours of playing games on max settings)

Jay Fury

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Why would you stress test a card that old that's already having issues? If I were you I would turn down some settings and get what limited time you have left with it actually gaming. Turn down power limit and undervolt/underclock it until it stops thermal throttling.