Question Something weird with my ram

Mar 7, 2019
I bought a F4-3200C14D-16GFX (GSkill Flare X 2x8gb , cl14, 3200mhz) kit last year and one of the two memory modules in seems to have stopped working. When i boot with both modules on, i only get 8gb available whereas the other 8gb are listed as hardware reserved on windows resource manager. When i boot with the working module this doesn't happen and only 71mb are listed as harware reserved on windows resource manager. When i try turning the computer on with the faulty module alone, the computer doesn't turn on at all. I've tried different slots and that doesn't change anything. My motherboard is an Asus Prime b450m-a and my processor is an AMD ryzen 5 - 2600, standard non X verison. All computer parts are working fine without the faulty module. When i turn the computer on with both modules and run windows memory diagnostic, i don't get an error message and it shows both modules being scanned. Two events were recorded into windows event viewer saying it detected no errors. What could it be?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
First guess is faulty memory stick, it does happen.

Not much else you can do except maybe refresh cmos by removing the watch sized battery from motherboard for a minute. Make sure the battery is returned the correct side up. If you try clearing cmos disconnect power cord and hold the case power button for 30seconds to discharge remaining power from the capacitors.

Clearing cmos restores bios to defaults, any changes made yourself will be undone. Check date and time in Windows is correct afterwards as this can be reset as well and can prevent Windows updates operating normally.

Mar 7, 2019
First guess is faulty memory stick, it does happen.

Not much else you can do except maybe refresh cmos by removing the watch sized battery from motherboard for a minute. Make sure the battery is returned the correct side up. If you try clearing cmos disconnect power cord and hold the case power button for 30seconds to discharge remaining power from the capacitors.

Clearing cmos restores bios to defaults, any changes made yourself will be undone. Check date and time in Windows is correct afterwards as this can be reset as well and can prevent Windows updates operating normally.

I unplugged everything from the wall, cycled the power, took the memory off, took the battery off, placed the weird memory module in and then the battery back in. PC didnt post. I swapped the memory modules and voila, PC working as it should. The weird thing to me is that windows can actually tell that it's an 8gb memory stick plugged in when i boot with both memories. Contacts seem fine.

Mar 7, 2019
NTFS . it's completely bypassing the USB with memtest on it and booting into windows even tho the USB was given boot priority in the BIOS. I've tried FAT32 cause why the hell not and it was the same thing. Maybe i'll try with a different usb stick tomorrow cause i dont have one at hand right now. But i'm inclined to believe that this ram stick is dead and i'm gonna have to take the financial hit of buying a new one.

Mar 7, 2019
I tried fat32, then ntfs, then fat32 again . All times i got this message saying the system has posted in safe mode and letting me press F1 to run setup. I'll try again and see if i can get this to work.