Something wrong..crashes + bad ethernet

I've been running my computer very stable for the past year now. Now, however, something's gone quite wrong and I can't identify why or what's causing it.

The problem is that the computer is crashing, and it's somehow related to whether or not the Ethernet cable is plugged in.

[WITH]
Computer boots, desktop shows, things start to load, -CRASH-
(Restart)
(Restart)
-Cycle goes on-

[WITHOUT]
(Restart)
Computer boots, desktop shows, things start to load, life goes on. No crashing.

If I plug the Ethernet cable in after that, the computer will immediately crash. Following that, at the restart the computer won't POST (get past the very first BIOS screen). I have to manually shut off the computer and then enter the cycle from the beginning.

Safe mode works fine (no networking), with networking I have to remove the Ethernet cord. However when I boot into Safemode (Networking) with the Ethernet plugged in I crash and get a blue screen, which I don't get on a 'normal' boot-up.

ASUS M4a785-M Motherboard, specs in signature/profile.

I have a feeling this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue. I ran something I know I quite shouldn't have; that was my first crash. Following a virus scan, the PC was fine for a day. After my first time experiencing the above cycle I performed a system restore, attributing the anomaly to the virus. After the restore, the compute went fine for another day. Now, here I am back to square one. System restore doesn't seem to fix it anymore.

I'm leaving ESET to run a deep/thorough scan overnight and will check in the morning. I have the computer booted into 'normal' mode without the Ethernet cord plugged in, so everything is running as it would.

Thanks for any help; all is appreciated.
Steve

efreak

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I've got this same issue in some places.
I go to CSUN, and whenever I plug into the network ports in the coffee shop, my laptop runs for about 5-10 minutes, then I get a bluescreen. I have not been able to determine the specific cause, other than that it doesn't happen if I don't plug in. This only happens when I plug into the network at the coffee shop, not when I plug in anywhere else on campus, and not when I plug in at home.
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite L515-S4010 (stock; no special hardware attached, no custom firmware). AFAIK, everything in it is up to date.
There is no malware or viruses on my computer. I keep it clean, and when I first encountered this issue, I hadn't been using it (online) long enough to have received any (I had it 6 months prior, but I mostly used it for offline work until then).

If you fixed this, please explain how.

stubon

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi,
I have the same issue on a Dell Vostro 1350.

It works at home via the wireless connection, but whenever I plug in the ethernet cable or connect wirelessly in the office the computer crashes after ~1minute.

No viruses detected.

Did anyone come up with a fix for this?

Stuart