Something wrong with GPU fan readings - Asus 980 Ti Strix

HassanMahmood

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
I noticed last night when I was watching a movie that my GPU was throttling which was resulting in dropped frames - something that I have never experienced ever since optimizing my MadVR settings.

Upon further inspection it seems like there's something wrong with the GPU's fans - the readings are definitely off, and the fans themselves must be as well because the GPU is hitting temperatures it never did with the same video files playing and this is resulting in the boost clock being throttled to keep the card under my temperature target.

Even when the fans are audibly going at high RPM, the readings in Asus GPU Tweak II (which is the software I have always used without a hitch), and on MSI Afterburner (the software I tried installing to see if it was a software issue) show that the fan is moving at 0 RPM. Even CPUID is reporting 0 RPM when the fans are clearly functioning.

What's more bizarre is the same software that shows the fans are running at 0 RPM are all reporting that the fans are working when it comes to the percentage of overall speed at which they are running.

Now if the issue was only a readings issue I wouldn't care, but there's something going on beyond that given that my temperatures are hitting 85 celsius and as a result the card is throttling down and resulting in skipped frames and choppy video output.

I don't really want to reinstall Windows, but unless someone can come up with an alternative solution, I think that's my only remaining option other than RMA'ing the card in the event the reinstallation does not work.

I also did a System Restore to before the last Windows 10 update but that did not have any impact.

I have an i7 5930k running at 3.8Ghz, an Asus Strix Nvidia 980Ti (not the OC version) - base clock is 1000Mhz and it's factory OC'd to 1177 I believe - I have a profile where it runs at about 1350Mhz and has without a problem for eons.

Please help me out here - it's so frustrating to have to choose lower MadVR settings to avoid throttling. I can theoretically switch to my 1350Mhz profile and it seems to work, however the fan noise ends up being very annoying and ultimately this is not something I had to do before a couple of days ago so something else has to have changed.

Thanks so much!