something wrong with my build, i have no idea what

drifter109

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
hi guys its drifter109,
and i have a serious problem with my pc, and i know you guys can help, recently (2-3 months ago ) i slapped together my new computer and i firstly thought it was sweet, but then i started realising that it was not all that glory-full, at first i downloaded a load of games from steam and all and well, i started playing gtaV on almost ultra setting only my vram capped out, skyrim ultra smooth game play drops to 40 very rarely, anyway you get the gist, it was mint (very cool), but then i realised that my games started loading in a lot slower, (A LOT) but i did not mind that well until i got to playing bf4 which was loading textures in from my hdd 12 mins in the game (12:13 exactly i timed it) now i try playing my favourite game ever the all might arma 3, 20 fps no matter the settings, ark evolved 10 fps no matter the settings, not good enough? well how about this war thunder 60-1 fps on any settings game feels so heavy that it is unplayable, not bad enough yet suddenly i crap myself because one morning i get up and click the power button, fans spin up and suddenly stop, 1-2 seconds go past i did nothing but watch it turns on, and like that 2 times, then it turns on, makes a weird beep and turns on, and it does not end there, i cant explain this so ill put it in a scenario, im playing world of warships, suddenly bam my game is minimized... (my windows buttons are disabled due to keyboard settings) nothing happens turn game back on 5 seconds later i realise that Google chrome is running in the background with an advert from ad.fly. there is a few more things but those are the main ones specs below, please help me, i cant do this any-more i have been sat infront of this computer for around 3 weeks trying to figure out what's going on and, i just don't know.

case: bitfenix comrad midi tower
motherboard: ud5 gigabyte 990fx
cpu: fx 8320 overclocked to 4 ghz from 3.5 (stock cooler)
gpu :gtx 960 evga ssc 2gb vram
cooling: 3 fans 2 input at front and one exhoust at the back allslots filled
psu:a corsair cx430m 430 watts
hdd with windows on (and online like 2 other programs): 160 gb old hdd (i wouldent expect it to have more then 3200 rpm.
hdd with games, steam bf4 etc: 1tb 7400rpm

Solution
It could be your power supply. It is low quality. Not only low quality, but a mere 430 watts of low quality. The 8320 is a power hungry monster as it is, and you have it overclocked. There are other possibilities, but this was the first Major red flag I am seeing. Any chance you can get your hands on a better PSU to test it out?

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
It could be your power supply. It is low quality. Not only low quality, but a mere 430 watts of low quality. The 8320 is a power hungry monster as it is, and you have it overclocked. There are other possibilities, but this was the first Major red flag I am seeing. Any chance you can get your hands on a better PSU to test it out?

Solution

drifter109

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013

hi erm, this may be the problem and i do have a more powerfull psu, but it certainly is not a higher quality one, its 900w, shall i still test it out ? it has no +rating whatsoever ...

drifter109

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
ajhockey3 i never defragged my hdd's ever before i will do it overnight today, and i was actually debating weather it will be better to buy a new psu for my build or get and ssd for it something arround 128 gb's

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
You could go ahead and try the other power supply to see if it remedies your problem with the not powering on and poor performance, if it does then you know you need a better PSU. Though the slow loading is likely a hard drive issue, probably due to how old it is and the low RPM.

If your PSU is not putting out enough power, you will see hits to performance.

One other thing that is a possibility that I don't want to overlook is CPU temperature. If your CPU is overheating it will cause drastic drops in performance, and can shut down your PC if it gets too hot. Have you checked your temps?

drifter109

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
ok soon I will attempt to use that psu I have, but first I will unclock my cpu back to stock, and my gpu is not oc'd whatsoever because the slight turn up results in artifacts, and I will be upgrading my hdd with a faster ssd with 128 gb I guess if that help it will be worth it, and temps are fine I run prime 95 for 20 minutes cpu sticks to 45 degrees and gpu well lets say the fans don't even spin... (evga feature XD)
by the way, another problem were does popins from ad.fly when doing anything, any suggestions ...

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Adf.ly is an adware virus, not only will it constantly disrupt your web browsing by redirecting you and throwing popups in your face, but it can take a lot of system resources and bog down your performance.

First go into your add/remove programs and uninstall any suspicious toolbars or other suspicious programs that you find.

Download AdwCleaner from here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ just click the blue botton that says "download now @ BleepingComputer"

After you download it, run the AdwCleaner.exe

Click on scan. Let it do it's thing, it may take some time to complete the scan.

After the scan, you can click on report if you wish to review the log in a notepad.

Click on the clean button, Click OK when asked to close all programs, and follow the on screen prompts.

Click OK again after it has finished to allow it to restart your system to complete the removal process.

This should get rid of the adf.ly for you. Follow the steps and let me know what happens.

drifter109

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
ok first things first after doing this i cannot rearrange icons on my desktop, neither use my mouse to choose accounts on the screen just befor typing in my password, and on google chrome when i click on any tab on the top it closes, i can click anywhere on the tab and it closes instead of switching to it
EDIT: google chrome is not acting very strange, i cannot access my bookmarks neither any setting, im gona proceed to reinstall it,
P.S: last time this happened when i installed windows fresh, the fault was the software that came with my mouse, the corsair m65 saber rgb, which was set on rainbow effect but now is whatever colour windows starts it at because the program inter fears with windows in some way.

drifter109

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013

sorry for late reply i did not get an email about your respence, erm the problem still persists, i took my hdd for some testing and it turns out it is 7200 rpm not slower, so its not the hdd, and i replaced the psu into an evga 500w bronze, un oc'd my gpu and my cpu to see the results and nothing better came up, allso yes the problem became worse i had to revert my pc to before i did what you told me, erm i dont really know what else to say, i wanted to upgrade my pc again soon since this one is a horror in the end, (i really need to know where the issue stands) PLEASE