Something wrong with my cpu cooler / bad seated?

Snorlord

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hey everyone,

I am using an i7-6700k at stock speed with a scythe mugen max air cooler. But the temps seems overall a bit to high.

My idle temps are 27-30 and under load when running prime95 for 20 minutes the max
temperatures are 80-81...

idle_zpsmhhmi6fe.png

load_zpsoqvtyean.png

I wanted to do a small overclock but I don't think its possible with these temps...

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your case sounds like it is fine for airflow. But, 31C (equals ~88F where I live) is quite warm. W/o an A/C'ed environment, that is warmer than expected. The cooler's fan is pulling in hot air to try to cool an even hotter heat sink.

Try some OC'ing. See if the temps change appreciably. Is your CPU cooler's fan set to ramp up correctly? Try it with the CPU fan speed set to always max. When OC'ing and running a demanding stress test, I like to have the fan at its max setting in BIOS. Same with case fans. During everyday use, the CPU will rarely (if ever) run at 100% continuously, so you can set the cooler's fan and case fans back to auto settings then.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The simple answer is yes. It appears the cooler is either not functioning correctly or the mounting is incorrect. Possibly too much thermal paste? How were the temps with the stock cooler? That would be good to know for a comparison.

69C is the accepted max core temp for that CPU. Although it can take more than that safely. If those are stock clock runs of P95, that is quite high. What version of P95 are you using?

Snorlord

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I got no stock cooler with my i7-6700k as far as I know I don't think they include stock coolers anymore with this processor and the P95 is the latest version 2.89.

I am almost 100% sure there is not too much thermalpaste on there. What's possible is that there is not enough pressure on the processor, because this cooler is very annoying too install if you have big hands...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, forgot about the Skylake i7's lack of cooler. My bad.
When the Haswell came out, we were warned not to use any version of P95 beyond 26.6. I don't know if that disclaimer is still true for Skylake or not. But download and run ver. 26.6 of P95 and see if the temps are the same. I know my Haswell ran extremely hot temps with the latest version of P95. With the older version, all is well again.

Snorlord

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I did an 1hour and 20min test with P95 v26.6 and his max temperature was 10c lower than with v28.9. Still 71c for a stock i7-6700k seems quite high when not using a rly low profile cooler... What I also notice is that my first 2 cores got higher temps than my other two cores.

Here are the temp results:

load2_zpstu7hxwul.png

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Apparently Skylake suffers from the same allergy to the latest versions of P95 as Haswells. Stay with 26.6. The temps in the screenshot above looks great. Especially if that time-stamp of 1:20:25 is correct. Max core temp is 69C for that CPU, with a throttle at 100C. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

One or more cores will always be higher than the rest. Every multi-core I have ever owned has done that.
If you still feel your cooler isn't doing the job, I would try another install.
Do you have a hot environment? Small case with poor airflow? How's the cable management?

Snorlord

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yeah I did blend test for as long as it says in the time-stamp. So you think Max core temp 69-71 is a good temp for running at stock? I always thought 70c was like the healthy maximum, but if that's true I have no room left for overclocking.

Well atm it's hot here right now, tomorrow it's gonna be 31c degree... as for the case I have a phanteks pro with fan setup 1 140mm in the back, 2 140mm in the front, 1 200mm at the top and 1 140mm at the very back of the top. The cable management is pretty good, only the necesarry cables are visible.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your case sounds like it is fine for airflow. But, 31C (equals ~88F where I live) is quite warm. W/o an A/C'ed environment, that is warmer than expected. The cooler's fan is pulling in hot air to try to cool an even hotter heat sink.

Try some OC'ing. See if the temps change appreciably. Is your CPU cooler's fan set to ramp up correctly? Try it with the CPU fan speed set to always max. When OC'ing and running a demanding stress test, I like to have the fan at its max setting in BIOS. Same with case fans. During everyday use, the CPU will rarely (if ever) run at 100% continuously, so you can set the cooler's fan and case fans back to auto settings then.

Solution

Snorlord

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

My cpu fan cooler is already manual set to go from 25c at 25%, 40c at 50%, 50c at 75%, 60c at 100%.

I will try to oc it to 4.4 ghz one of the following days.