Question Something wrong with my cpu temperatures?

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
I have a ryzen 5 2600. It's not overclocked. Up until 2 days ago the average idling/browsing temps were 31-36 degrees C. I've been using hwmonitor and core temp to monitor it. Yesterday as i was just browsing around, all of a sudden I noticed the fans were louder than normal, so I did a quick check with core temp and hwmonitor, and found them showing temps above 60 degrees. I boot into the bios and it showed the same initially, but quickly dropped down to 45, and then slowly down to 38. Same thing today. Right now I'm using hwmonitor and it shows 65 degrees, just idling in the desktop. Any idea what's wrong with it?

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
I'd go into Task Manager and see what tasks are using the CPU.
I would also look at Afterburner (or something similar) where you can get CPU temp VS time and this may help give you an idea of what's going on.
Well i found chrome running in the background for whatever reason, I ended the process and temps have now dropped down to 34 degrees. Is this really all that was causing it???

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
It sure seems like that.
I'd keep an eye on it.
I'd also wonder why Chrome was running in the background and maybe try to stop that.
It seems that as soon as a process causes a spike in cpu usage, it also causes one in temperature reading. They get ridiculous sometimes, 4% spikes from windows defender and the temps instantly skyrocket to 45 and 50 degrees. I'll see what I can do about chrome and hope this fixes it

Perhaps you have the auto-update option on chrome, so it just download and install updates in the background whenever it wants.

Also try to avoid runing two monitor software at the same time, choose one and stick with it.

HWMonitor not the best one for Ryzen, I would try hwinfo portable or Ryzen Master (which I don't like cause is heavy, and needs to be installed, and for me it doens't offer anything better in the monitoring feature than hwinfo).

Also theres Firefox, I stopped using chrome cause of the amount of resoruces it sucks from the system. But everyones has thier own taste on browsers :)

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
Perhaps you have the auto-update option on chrome, so it just download and install updates in the background whenever it wants.

Also try to avoid runing two monitor software at the same time, choose one and stick with it.

HWMonitor not the best one for Ryzen, I would try hwinfo portable or Ryzen Master (which I don't like cause is heavy, and needs to be installed, and for me it doens't offer anything better in the monitoring feature than hwinfo).
I'm not using them all at once, but I have 3 or 4 programs installed. I also have ryzen master installed, did a quick check and it looks like the temperatures it's showing are a bit lower and more stable. Hwinfo shows slightly lower temps than ryzen master as well.

Reactions: RodroX

TRENDING THREADS