something wrong with my hd

bolaber

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
i just finished installing my computer and i think there is something wrong with my harddrive. When i left my computer on last night for update and went to take a 3 hour nap, when i came back the screen was black and there was nothing there. I pressed enter and clicked my mouse and the screen was still black. So i cold booted the computer and it started working again. It said that there was a hard drive failure in vista and told me to back up my computer?

Then i played everquest 2 for a few mintues and it went perfectly fine, and then i decided to leave it on again to see if it will do it again. So i wake up in about 3 more hours to head to work and the exact same thing happens again. Is my bios setting for my HDD wrong? or is there something wrong with my HDD?

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

ps.. i havent set up the raid yet.. .could that be why? (what is raid anyways? :idea: )

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
it sounds like it's going into sleep/power saving mode and not returning, I suggest you go into control panel and change power saving settings so that the hard drives don't power down.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I just saw a thread on the topic yesterday or the day before. Sorry - can't look for it right now but it said the same thing that Blunc just mentioned. I seem to remember that the settings were buried several layers down.

bolaber

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
here's a picture of what shows up everytime my computer is on...
error.jpg

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Woah, would you look at that! You bought a brand new, bottom-of-the-line sh*t Seagate HD like me! And I'm having the same problem, with 2 of their HDs in the past 4 months. Well, I should just use that warranty again. Heh, one catch: they expect you to pay shipping fifty times, so that warranty is like paying for a 2nd drive.