[SOLVED] Something wrong with "Pictures" on my pc

alfiee

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
I recently got a gaming pc i installed windows 10 from my usb and everything was fine but. In these past few days my Pictures folder has been acting weird

http://prntscr.com/m75iz5 These checkmarks are next to the pictures / folders which i have turned off and doesnt appear in for example This PC > Documents and the folder thumbnails dont load as shown in the previous picture but the pictures do load i copied all my pictures to This PC > Documents and everything is fine there the thumbnails load and no checkmarks.

Does anybody know why this may be happening?

Solution
the green tick means its a file on onedrive, every picture in my Onedrive/pictures folder has a green tick.

Green tick icons

When you open an online-only file, it downloads to your device and becomes a locally available file. You can open a locally available file anytime, even without Internet access.

If you need more space, you can change the file back to online only. Just right-click the file and select “Free up space.”

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-do-the-onedrive-icons-mean-11143026-8000-44f8-aaa9-67c985aa49b3

In June an update was released that may have swapped some folders to auto backup to Onedrive, I found my documents and a few other library folders had done it around then without me knowing. It...

Colif

Win 11 Master
the green tick means its a file on onedrive, every picture in my Onedrive/pictures folder has a green tick.

Green tick icons

When you open an online-only file, it downloads to your device and becomes a locally available file. You can open a locally available file anytime, even without Internet access.

If you need more space, you can change the file back to online only. Just right-click the file and select “Free up space.”

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-do-the-onedrive-icons-mean-11143026-8000-44f8-aaa9-67c985aa49b3

In June an update was released that may have swapped some folders to auto backup to Onedrive, I found my documents and a few other library folders had done it around then without me knowing. It also seems to have happened with 1809's release.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

I got 1tb free space on there with a Office 365 subscription, so I have a use for it. Apart from windows deciding I wanted to use Onedrive for all my library folders default location, only other problem I had with it was 3 years or so ago when it wasn't as easy as it is now to move its save location off C.

It has its uses.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ Agreed.
Our work environment uses both Google Drive and Dropbox. A side effect of that, and working from home is that I have all the cloud space I could want on a "temporary" basis for moving files, etc. I don't actually store much of anything in the cloud. I tend to keep redundant files on local directories.

alfiee

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
So i copied all my pictures to documents then deleted everything in my pictures folder and when it goes to onedrive aka the green tick is there then all my thumbnails dissapear

alfiee

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
ive been messing with onedrive settings and somehow i unlinked This PC > Pictures from Onedrive > Pictures which is actually nice since i can see the thumbnails in This PC/Pictures and files i dont want to have synced i can choose to not copy to onedrive > pictures i think i did it by going to Onedrive settings > auto save > update folders started protecting pictures then stopped protecting pictures