Question Somethings wrong with my BRAND NEW gaming rig.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rafiii

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
So my new pc just arrived a couple days ago, I downloaded every driver I needed, but it keeps crashing in every game, the screen freezes, goes black and says no signal. The other one is when the audio bugs out, loops in a weird tone, then I have to turn it off, and restart it. Please help me, its a BRAND NEW pc.

Specs: Cooler Master MWE 550 W 80+ bronze psu
asus prime b450m-a mobo
ryzen 5 2600 3,4 GHz 6-core processor
patriot 16 GB viper 4 DDR4 3000 MHz ram
msi radeon rx 590 8 gb armor gpu
kingston a400 240 gb ssd
toshiba p300 1 tb hdd

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
His issue has nothing to do with his PSU according to you? So what is his issue then? This mystery illness he is having, remains to be seen I guess. According to this website, its basically Seasonic or nothing, m'kay. And this alleged fact is neglected to be mentioned almost every time it is claimed that ones PSU is 'low quality'. This is the particular PSU I have by the way.

Link

I appreciate your Passsion and wish you a very successfull Career , as anyone new to the field you have some misconceptions , and some of Those you have spoken to have Academic degrees in engineering and extensive experience in the PC industry and do know what they are talking about , but dont take Their word for it , I want you to read from Leading Industry Proffesionals
I will link you some topics written by leading Industry Proffesionals in the PC PSU industry with a strong Academical Background

check these thread by Jonny Guru He is Currently the director of Power Supplies Research and Development at Corsair

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?1036-The-quot-power-supply-FAQ-quot
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?3264-PSU-101-PC-Power-Supply-Basics

Also there topics By Aris Mpitziopoulos Who is anelectrical engineer with degrees in Computer Science, Telecommunications, and a Ph.D in the field of wireless communications. He has worked on the development and testing of countless power supply units in both industrial and media related positions. He is also the lead PSU reviewer for both Tom’s Hardware and TechPowerUp.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-buying-guide,2916.html

Lutfij

Titan
@blackmaninc07 This is a public warning to cease and desist with your thread derailment tactics and complete lack of competence on the matter.

You've disrupted threads prior and this time you've got vacation time. Any further and you're going to be sent off here permanently. This is not up for discussion!

Part of the Tom'sHardware Moderation Team,
Lutfij

TLDR, so not sure if this was mentioned but here goes. Well, the person recommending 1000w psu has already been banned, but if I can lend an impartial view here, I see their error and hope they read it and they, the OP, and others can learn as well. The class literature they quoted says to calculate the total power the system uses and double it, not to double the power recommended by the GPU manufacturer, whose recommended PSU wattage already includes a buffer amount. Every system is built with different parts and different goals - how many fans/drives/rgb/pump/etc, regular or enthusiast board, overclocked, etc. The GPU often does have the greatest influence on the PSU wattage requirement, but as many knowledgable Tom's users know, it's just not as simple as that. You must MEASURE (best) or CALCULATE (second best, specifically adding power consumption of each individual part) the total power draw of the system and then add a buffer amount. Yes, some prefer a doubling of wattage as a buffer, and others recommend something like 20%, so even the amount of overhead is debatable. The key point is the nuance that 1000w guy didn't see in the learning material, and then apparently doubled the GPU recommended PSU wattage instead of actual system wattage.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well, the person recommending 1000w psu has already been banned

Lets just be clear here, he was not banned due to his poor recommendation of hardware but actually for a combination of derailing the thread with his continual arguments in the face of facts, taking away from the OP's original question and off topic, and then specifically ignoring the instructions of a moderator to stop such behavior. And then on top of that added to previous warnings he had received due to behavior.

Your post is a good guide for the OP, lets hope he returns with his thoughts.

Reactions: mortemas