Question Somethings wrong with my BRAND NEW gaming rig.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rafiii

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
So my new pc just arrived a couple days ago, I downloaded every driver I needed, but it keeps crashing in every game, the screen freezes, goes black and says no signal. The other one is when the audio bugs out, loops in a weird tone, then I have to turn it off, and restart it. Please help me, its a BRAND NEW pc.

Specs: Cooler Master MWE 550 W 80+ bronze psu
asus prime b450m-a mobo
ryzen 5 2600 3,4 GHz 6-core processor
patriot 16 GB viper 4 DDR4 3000 MHz ram
msi radeon rx 590 8 gb armor gpu
kingston a400 240 gb ssd
toshiba p300 1 tb hdd

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah I know about the TDP, never cared for it. I go solely by what is claimed to be the "recommended" wattage to power the computer because that's all that matters in the end.

Only because you ignored what the "recommended" is based on. What you personally care about doesn't jibe with reality.

Based on your explanation, just gives one all the more reason to double the wattage. The situation they clearly don't account for is the application the user intends to run.
Where do you get that idea? Where has the user stated this?

And the A+ certification is one of the most sought after in the field. Its what employers often look for, so quite frankly, it is obviously very useful.
Useful if one doesn't have experience - and maybe to get the first job.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Only because you ignored what the "recommended" is based on. What you personally care about doesn't jibe with reality.

And like I said, I don't care. The only thing that matters to the one buying the damn product is what is "recommended".

Where do you get that idea? Where has the user stated this?

He is on the "PC gaming" section of a forum complaining about his games crashing with a PSU that only meets what is in actuality the minimum required to run a PC, not the "recommended" to run a demanding application. In my world, 2 + 2 = 4.

My suggestion for how wattage should be listed is simple:

Minimum required to run basic Applications: 550 watts

Recommended amount to run applications that involve rendering scenes: 900+ watts

And this is of course for the RX 590

Useful if one doesn't have experience - and maybe to get the first job.

Its an entry level certification, so yes, obviously. Don't know what point you are trying to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafiii

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Thanks a lot for all of you helping someone out. who is not so familiar with PC's on this level. Im going to contact the company, and replace the PSU with a Corsair CX 650 W // Corsair CX 750 W or a Corsair RMx 750 W. I watched a 2019 PSU Tier list, and the CX series were Tier B+ and the RMx/RM were tier A. So im thinking about the RMx series, should I go with the RMx 650 W or the RMx 750 W? Is there much difference?

Dec 11, 2019
So I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, But first off, they're possibly right with the power supply. I always go a 750w Smart Modular like the Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 750.

But also, You do know that the 3000Mhz Ram that you have in that system isn't fully compatible with a Ryzen 2nd gen processor like the 2600, right?

Rafiii

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
So I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, But first off, they're possibly right with the power supply. I always go a 750w Smart Modular like the Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 750.

But also, You do know that the 3000Mhz Ram that you have in that system isn't fully compatible with a Ryzen 2nd gen processor like the 2600, right?
I didn’t know that, what can I do?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
And like I said, I don't care.

When you're the only one defending your recommendation, and you find yourself ignoring facts in order to cling to what you believe, you can do one of two things:

1 - Try to learn, and accept that there are those who know better than you do.

2 - Vigorously embrace ignorance, refusing to admit that anyone can know anything better than you.

4745454b

Titan
This thread has been flagged for personal attacks and general misbehavior. I'm entering it now to remind everyone to behave and no fling insults. This is your only warning. Play nice or don't play here at all. Any further insults or what not will be deleted. Don't let that happen to you. (hint, if you are typing the word you, you should probably take a step back.

For the OP, as a general rule a quality 550W PSU is more than enough to handle a single GPU setup, while a 750W is needed for a CF/SLI setup. There are exceptions to this! While I don't know what system you are looking at, even a single AMD 590 would only need a 550W or even the 650W PSU you were looking at. You don't need a 750W or 900W+ to power such a setup.

Where does it say its not compatible? Is it not on the motherboard QVL?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
This thread has been flagged for personal attacks and general misbehavior. I'm entering it now to remind everyone to behave and no fling insults. This is your only warning. Play nice or don't play here at all. Any further insults or what not will be deleted. Don't let that happen to you. (hint, if you are typing the word you, you should probably take a step back.

For the OP, as a general rule a quality 550W PSU is more than enough to handle a single GPU setup, while a 750W is needed for a CF/SLI setup. There are exceptions to this! While I don't know what system you are looking at, even a single AMD 590 would only need a 550W or even the 650W PSU you were looking at. You don't need a 750W or 900W+ to power such a setup.

He doesn't need anything more than 650w for his setup, or for the applications he is running? I never said anything about his setup. I'm basing it entirely on how he intends to use it. But whatever, you all say that's "enough" just because that's what the manufacturer vaguely states, then fine. We'll see if he still comes right back with the same complaint like I've seen time and again on this site and others.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
He doesn't need anything more than 650w for his setup, or for the applications he is running? I never said anything about his setup. I'm basing it entirely on how he intends to use it. But whatever, you all say that's "enough" just because that's what the manufacturer vaguely states, then fine. We'll see if he still comes right back with the same complaint like I've seen time and again on this site and others.

Lets be very clear here. Your posts have been getting downvotes and tremendous backlash because the idea of needing 1000w to power a system with an RX 590 is categorically wrong. Whatever training may have stated this is completely and totally wrong. We have multiple experts in the field, professionals whom are paid to review PSUs, build systems, etc right here on this site whom would agree with that assessment. Share this idea on any other site, Jonnyguru, Linustechtips, etc and you will receive similar backlash.

If you need a real life example check out the gaming system in my signature, it has both a CPU and GPU that is tremendously more powerful and draws more power, and yet it runs all day long on a 750w PSU. Doubling the expected power draw for the possibility of future upgrades is a ridiculous waste of money. GPUs have not been drawing more power by generation, its been the same or less, hard drives barely pull down 30w and people are using them less and less each day, SSD's draw negligible numbers, and the last regular consumer CPU with a TDP of over 140 came out over 6 years ago and is long dead.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Watch the language
Lets be very clear here. Your posts have been getting downvotes and tremendous backlash because the idea of needing 1000w to power a system with an RX 590 is categorically wrong. Whatever training may have stated this is completely and totally wrong. We have multiple experts in the field, professionals whom are paid to review PSUs, build systems, etc right here on this site whom would agree with that assessment. Share this idea on any other site, Jonnyguru, Linustechtips, etc and you will receive similar backlash.

If you need a real life example check out the gaming system in my signature, it has both a CPU and GPU that is tremendously more powerful and draws more power, and yet it runs all day long on a 750w PSU. Doubling the expected power draw for the possibility of future upgrades is a ridiculous waste of money. GPUs have not been drawing more power by generation, its been the same or less, hard drives barely pull down 30w and people are using them less and less each day, SSD's draw negligible numbers, and the last regular consumer CPU with a TDP of over 140 came out over 6 years ago and is long dead.

And yet, there is this recurring problem of people I see returning with the same complaints of their PC's going off the rails despite all this alleged expert advice. Yeah, 750 watts should be enough practically, and it works out for some, but clearly not so much for a lot of others, showing how inconsistent PC performance really is. I went through the song and dance of the "its enough" spiel the last three years. Literally every single game in my collection crashed multiple times because of it, despite everything I tried including replacing the thermal paste on both my CPU and GPU. That seemed to work for a while, and then the games eventually started crashing AGAIN.

I ask the removed by mod that work at these service departments if the power supply was the issue, and they swore on the blood of their parents that it was perfectly fine. My patience finally ran thin about a month or so ago, and I decided to build the PC I wanted. It was going to be the last time I was ever listening to that "its enough" spiel. And buying a whole PC build off some website is another thing I strongly advise against. PC's are notoriously mickey mouse in functionality and that is why its last thing on the planet I'd buy off the internet. If it was a console it'd be different because you know exactly what you are paying for and from WHO you are getting it from. And really, I could care less about the down votes. I didn't come here for brownie points.

Last edited by a moderator:

bignastyid

Titan
And yet, there is this recurring problem of people I see returning with the same complaints of their PC's going off the rails despite all this alleged expert advice. Yeah, 750 watts should be enough practically, and it works out for some, but clearly not so much for a lot of others, showing how inconsistent PC performance really is. I went through the song and dance of the "its enough" spiel the last three years. Literally every single game in my collection crashed multiple times because of it, despite everything I tried including replacing the thermal paste on both my CPU and GPU. That seemed to work for a while, and then the games eventually started crashing AGAIN.

I ask the removed by mod that work at these service departments if the power supply was the issue, and they swore on the blood of their parents that it was perfectly fine. My patience finally ran thin about a month or so ago, and I decided to build the PC I wanted. It was going to be the last time I was ever listening to that "its enough" spiel. And buying a whole PC build off some website is another thing I strongly advise against. PC's are notoriously mickey mouse in functionality and that is why its last thing on the planet I'd buy off the internet. If it was a console it'd be different because you know exactly what you are paying for and from WHO you are getting it from. And really, I could care less about the down votes. I didn't come here for brownie points.

While it is true there are several threads here about systems shutting down from psu issues that advertised wattage should be enough. It's usually a quality issue not a size issue. Alot of times a good quality 550w psu will run a system without issue while a garbage quality 800w unit constantly causes shut downs and instability.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
While it is true there are several threads here about systems shutting down from psu issues that advertised wattage should be enough. It's usually a quality issue not a size issue. Alot of times a good quality 550w psu will run a system without issue while a garbage quality 800w unit constantly causes shut downs and instability.

Define "good quality".

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The people who work in some service departments ARE NOT the people who are here, and I would say anyone here knows markedly more than any of them. If you were using a junk quality "750w" PSU then that was your failing. If you use a low quality unit that happens to have high wattage (I've seen some real junk brand "1000w" PSUs out there) then sure that may fix your stability because you're not trying to get even 700w out of it, which it probably barely does. But that doesn't make that the correct solution, because the second you did push it, it would fail.

Using a proper quality PSU matched correctly to your wattage needs is the way this works. Just because throwing a high wattage low quality PSU at your build fixed your issues does not make it the correct solution, and while you may not care about "brownie points" the voting system shows a significant number of people disagree with your answer, and clearly you are not accepting of the correct counterarguments being made. You may feel free to do on your own as you wish, however myself and the rest of the moderation team here will not allow poor advice like that to live free in this forum.

Good parts, good voltage regulation, good ripple, protections and topology. Just look at how some of the best reviewers like Aris and Oklahoma wolf review/ grade psus. If you can't identify a good psu then you have no business offering advice about psus till you learn.

This.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
See the link in my sig regarding power supplies, for a start. There are also more resources out there - jonnyguru's site has plenty of reviews - and spells out their testing methodology.

So this is all about the brand name, guess I shouldn't be surprised. So this guy in the link below has a Corsair Power supply, not sure what label it is. Why is his games crashing? Better yet, never mind that guy, what about my power supply? I have a G.Skill brand PSU. Whats your take on them?

Link

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So this is all about the brand name, guess I shouldn't be surprised. So this guy in the link below has a Corsair Power supply, not sure what label it is. Why is his games crashing? Better yet, never mind that guy, what about my power supply? I have a G.Skill brand PSU. Whats your take on them?

Link

Not even in the slightest.

That link you posted, his issue has nothing to do with his PSU.

Brand name doesn't mean much of anything in this business unless its Seasonic, and even they have released a couple duds here and there. Corsair offers some fine PSUs, they have also sold some bad ones. They don't manufacture them, they are branded models made on contract from companies like CWT and Seasonic. G.Skill also badges 3rd party PSUs from CWT. I have not found any official reviews of them, but being CWT they could vary from good to junk, they make what they are told.

In fact most PSU brands are in fact made by other companies (example EVGA, Corsair, Antec, Cooler Master, etc all do not manufacture any PSUs) under contract, and the quality can vary greatly. Hence proper PSU reviews are important to use. All of which will tell you how well a PSU will hold up to whatever loads you throw at it.

Reactions: King_V

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Not even in the slightest.

That link you posted, his issue has nothing to do with his PSU.

Brand name doesn't mean much of anything in this business unless its Seasonic, and even they have released a couple duds here and there. Corsair offers some fine PSUs, they have also sold some bad ones. They don't manufacture them, they are branded models made on contract from companies like CWT and Seasonic. G.Skill also badges 3rd party PSUs from CWT. I have not found any official reviews of them, but being CWT they could vary from good to junk, they make what they are told.

In fact most PSU brands are in fact made by other companies (example EVGA, Corsair, Antec, Cooler Master, etc all do not manufacture any PSUs) under contract, and the quality can vary greatly. Hence proper PSU reviews are important to use. All of which will tell you how well a PSU will hold up to whatever loads you throw at it.

His issue has nothing to do with his PSU according to you? So what is his issue then? This mystery illness he is having, remains to be seen I guess. According to this website, its basically Seasonic or nothing, m'kay. And this alleged fact is neglected to be mentioned almost every time it is claimed that ones PSU is 'low quality'. This is the particular PSU I have by the way.

Link

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So this is all about the brand name, guess I shouldn't be surprised.

No - this conclusion demonstrates that you haven't read what anyone here has referenced with regard to quality power supplies.

His issue has nothing to do with his PSU according to you?
Please show EXACTLY where @Rogue Leader made any such claim.

You're now just engaging in outright falsehoods about what people have said and what their motivations are. That kind of behavior isn't going to get very far.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
His issue has nothing to do with his PSU according to you? So what is his issue then? This mystery illness he is having, remains to be seen I guess. According to this website, its basically Seasonic or nothing, m'kay. And this alleged fact is neglected to be mentioned almost every time it is claimed that ones PSU is 'low quality'. This is the particular PSU I have by the way.

Link

I'm not sure what your problem is but you clearly are out to cause a problem.

His issue is not his PSU, he is getting very specific errors in Event viewer. If it was a PSU issue he would be getting Kernel 41 failures (meaning the power shut off).

Nowhere at all did I say Seasonic or nothing. NOWHERE . Nor did I say Corsair is low quality, I said they have some models as all do that are low quality, including Seasonic.

I can find no official instrumented reviews of your PSU, therefore . I can only go by known information which is the platform/manufacturer.

Now let me put my moderator hat on here. If you want to continue to argue with me and others about this topic send me a private message or start a discussion thread in the Opinions and Experiences forum here. You have taken over the OP's thread with this continual fight of misinformation, and it has now gone far enough. Do not reply to this thread anymore.

logainofhades

Titan
It is not Seasonic or nothing here. They just have a better track record, than most, and they are an actual OEM. Corsair grey label 550m/650m are great budget units, for instance, but their older orange label CX are junk. Their VS series is also something to avoid. I recommend the grey label units, quite often. Evga G2 and G3 are great as well, and they are made by Superflower. Their B1 series are HEC built, and not that great, quality wise. Their white series I would avoid like the plague. I use an Evga 750w G2, myself, with an RX 3700x and a GTX 1080ti. I am also A+ certified, and I can confidently say that PSU recommendation bit, you posted, is due to people using junk no name PSU's, like Diablotek, from Best Buy. It's recommendations are due to ignorance on power supply quality.

Reactions: King_V