Sometimes no POST, sometimes no problem

tiger131

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
So, basically sometimes my computer won't post for any reason. If I have to restart it'll "start up" but it will not get to the POST.

The first time it happened I stripped it down to the videocard, one stick of ram, and no add-on cards whatever (and the HDD) and it still wouldn't POST. I figured it was my motherboard. MEMtest all my memory and nothing out of the ordinary. Have a shop test my cpu, no problems there. Sits for the next month until I'm ready to buy a new motherboard and I decide to turn it on for shits and giggles, and it finally posts (telling me theres no videocard installed which there wasn't). Started right up after reinstalled videocard.

Occasionally it will do the same thing even though I haven't changed anything on it. Voltages on P/S read out fine on my multimeter and on the m/b sensor. CPU temps are never above 40-45C. Nothing else is out of ordinary. Other times (more than 50% of the time) it still start up just fine. I can't think of any similarities from when it will start up fine, and when it decides not to. Seems completely random.
ASROCK 939dual
Athlon x2 3800+
2X512 valueram
X1800XT 256mb
Windows XP pro with latest updates (SP2)
400W p/s (not sure of brand)

Any ideas would be helpful, this is rather annoying. Thanks

tiger131

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Everything has been reseated and double checked. I might just replace the power supply anyways, I'm going to need one soon and this one isn't enough for everything I want to have in the computer anyways.