Sometimes no video on system startup

asetofnewlungs

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Every once in awhile when I start up my PC my video doesn't show up on my screen. All cables are connected, secured, and working. To fix this I just usually try turning on/off my computer until it works again (usually 1-5 times to get it to work).

I'm thinking maybe it's the PSU as the video card I have is fine. I was using a higher power card (6850) but it crashed one night and wouldn't work on start up at all no matter how many times I tried or refreshed bios/let system sit without power. Putting in my old card the 4850 fixed it fine until recently when i put in a new nic card. it took unplugging the psu and restarting a few times to get it to work again.

My PSU is rather new and from what I understand I'm not running anything overtly serious as far as energy is concerned and nothing is overclocked. What could be the problem? I'm worried that when I installed my PSU maybe I didn't plug it into the motherboard in every important slot. i have a 20+ plug going into my mobo, a 4pin into my drives and a 6pin into my processor. before when the 6850 was working i was using a 6pin on it as well.

system:
graphics card: radeon 4850 (was using a 6850 but it appeared to die)
processor: amd athlonxII 3.2 ghz
motherboard: asus m4a785-m
psu: 500w lepa (bought just last year)