Sometimes when I press the power button the PC turns on for 0.5 seconds, then off for 1 second, then turns on normally

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hi!

Sometimes (like 1 in 20 times) when the PC is turned off or in hibernate and I press the power button:
1) ALL the LEDs flashes on, the fans start spining.
2) THEN it all shut down for another second. Complete silence.
3) And after that moment the PC turns on normally

System POSTS normally, there is nothing in the event log. As if nothing happened.

This also happens sometimes when the bios internet or backup flashes itself and restarts itself.

BUT ALMOST ALWAYS if i press the power button and HOLD it for at least 2 seconds this would never happen. (At least I cant ever reproduce it this way)

(Wild guess: Could some kind of a capacitor be charging/discharging too fast/soon and causing this delay?) (Could there be some incompatibility between my exact hardware?)

I had observed something similar occurance with an old PC of mine and friend of mine has said he has something similar. I was not able to find anything about this problem on the internet AT ALL.

Could this in ANY WAY be related to the PSU? The motherboard? Or the combination of the two?

My system:
XFX PRO XXX 750W Bronze
Asrock X99 Extreme6
H80i GT
R9 390
The case is Corsair 300R Windowed
Corsair ValueSelect DDR4 2x8gb
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB

Any help or even anecdotal evidence (has this happened to you?) highly appreciated,
Thanks

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I am actually running dual chanell in a quad chanell board. Dunno if that would make a difference for this particular thing.

The board has 8 slots
A1-D1
A2-D2

Wen I put in C2,D2 didnt boot.

Now the ram is in C1,D1 and not A1 B1 (for aesthetics).

Could behavior like this (original question) possibly damaged any components?

(I guess a I can try to catch the last post code I see. But it flashes extremely briefly... I'm not even sure it even appears at all - so I dont it's possible.)

(Returning to your single memory stick question. If the problem persists I might do some more testing as maybe it does help, but I do distinctly remember when finishing my build and testing with only one memory module (also in C1) - the same problem.)

Corsair Value Select DDR4 288 Pin is not sold in kits. It sounds as if you install the RAM without bothering to change anything from [Auto] in the BIOS. The memory is probably training in the BIOS trying to find a setting it is comfortable with, restarting to do so.

Try using one stick
Manually set memory clock and DRAM Timings
Speed: 2133MHz.
Tested Latency: 15-15-15-36.

Since these are single modules, there are no timings specified for using two modules. The settings for a single would be different for two modules.

You should use the proper hardware,
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M4A2133C13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233727

These modules have XMP 2.0 support.

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hi Calvin7! I really appreciate your answer. I choose memory using the exact motherboard "Asrock x99 Supported Memory List" (there it was listed as x4 and not x2 as I used.) I did not know memory kits were different than singles bundled.

My bios DRAM has a very large configuration page with Primary, Secondary and Teritary timings.

MY BIOS SHOWS ME ALL THE CURRENT RUNNING VALUES. But in all of the selected values it's AUTO.

All of it was set on Auto. Even the clock (2133) was set to Auto.

What I did was set it as 15-15-15-36 and 2133.

1) HOWEVER together with these timings (in primary section of the bios) there is also a "Command rate" (it's 2N), but it's also Auto.

*2) Would you recommend me changing Auto EVERYWEHRE or MOST places to the values that the bios is showing me?*

(Leave the secondary and teritary timings alone?)

3) What do I do with the DRAM Reference clock, 100, 133 or Auto?

Thank you very much for your reply, your explanation seems highly plausible. I appreciate your time. :)

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
There are more things I can set in the BIOS than there are preoprties in CPU-Z memory tab. Do I just leave the stuff that is not in the CPU-Z to Auto (teritary timinings)? Or do I set the motherboard detected values that are shown (in the bios)?

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I wrote down the CPU-Z readings. And then went into BIOS and selected the closest JDEC (there was only one 2133, but it all matched). I could not find tRC. I dont set in the bios in any way.

After setting the JDEC only ONE VALUE DIFFERED from the one set by auto. tFaw was around ~278 (cant remember exact) and not 250 that was running on auto.

Is this reasonable?

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I tested the power on/down rigorously with shutdown and hibernate. I can no longer repeat the problem.

The only time the original problem happens is when I press and hold the power button while Windows is turned on and forcefully turn the PC off. This is reasonable.

Thanks for the help. Marking a solution. :)