Someway to automate the process?

I manage a small office network of about 15 stations.

How can I setup so when a new user, when first logging into a computer,
automatically map the network drives, printers and other settings into his
login?

These mapped network drives are the same for every one. Also the printers.

Is there someway to automate the process? So I don't have to manually do it
every time I add a user?

Am on a WIN2K Pro server and a mix of win2k/winxp desktops.

--

:: Young Admin AtreyuLohan ::

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I know that for drive mappings, you could use a login
script--that's what's used where I work. It also keeps
the user's computer up to date, in case their data is
moved from one server to another, we can seamlessly
change the mapping, and the user would not notice it.

I'm sure there's got to be a way to put printer mapping
into a login script, but the only thing I can think of is
to use "net use", but it doesn't behave the way I'd want
it to.

Good luck

Ken

This will add printers at login. Just drop it in a batch file.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\computer\printer

"::YoungAdmin::" <ljorge@icnships.com> wrote in message
> I manage a small office network of about 15 stations.
>

> How can I setup so when a new user, when first logging into a computer,
> automatically map the network drives, printers and other settings into his
> login?
>

> These mapped network drives are the same for every one. Also the printers.
>

> Is there someway to automate the process? So I don't have to manually do
it
> every time I add a user?
>

> Am on a WIN2K Pro server and a mix of win2k/winxp desktops.
>

> --
>

> :: Young Admin AtreyuLohan ::

KIXTART scripting is a great way to do all of this. It is available from
http://www.kixtart.org/ , its free and it is used extensively by windows
admins for logon script processing. There are many sites out there with Kix
script examples on doing all of this.

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know that for drive mappings, you could use a login
> script--that's what's used where I work. It also keeps
> the user's computer up to date, in case their data is
> moved from one server to another, we can seamlessly
> change the mapping, and the user would not notice it.
>
> I'm sure there's got to be a way to put printer mapping
> into a login script, but the only thing I can think of is
> to use "net use", but it doesn't behave the way I'd want
> it to.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ken

YoungAdmin,

You could do all of this with a .vbs logon script. You could even make it a
Group Policy. There are many examples of this.

HTH,

Cary