[SOLVED] Son’s first PC build stopped posting and power button won’t turn off

Mar 11, 2021
Looking for some help - my 11 year old son saved up his money, figured out what he needed and got all the parts for his first PC build. Put everything together and it worked! For a couple days, then two days ago it stopped putting out video to the monitor and the power button only works to turn on the PC, not to power it down. Fans and led lights on the fans are all working. Have reseated the graphics card, RAM, bios battery, checked monitor and hdmi cable. And now we are stuck and don’t know what else to do.

I’ve never built a PC, and want to make this a good experience for him - any advice for what to try next? The parts are all new and we could return them if it’s the graphics card or the PSU.
Here are the specs:

• Aresgame power supply 500w 80+ bronze certified PSU (AGV500)
  • western digital 500gb WD Blue 3D nand internal PC SSD - sata 3
  • ASRock B450M pro4 AM4 amd motherboard
-AMD Ryzen 5 1600 65w
- crucial ballistix 300 MHz DDR4 DRAM desktop gaming memory 16 go cl15
-gigabyte geforce gtx 1050ti KC 4g graphics card

Solution
Looks like a good unit; I like the 10 year warranty.
But, pay a bit more for the 650w or even 750w unit.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
Mar 11, 2021
Thanks that’s helpful. Any way that I could confirm that? I’ve got a multimeter if that would be useful.
Also we have the below PSU that we ordered by mistake but could use if it would be any better (i assume not given the lower wattage) - what should we look for in a PSU?

EVGA 100-BR-0450-K1 450 BR, 80+ BRONZE 450W, 3 Year Warranty

My guess would be the PSU as well. It couldn't hurt to try the other PSU.

Did you update your BIOS? For the latest CPU revision of the Ryzen 5 1600, you need BIOS version P2.00. Also, did you download and install the latest motherboard drivers from here?

And lastly, make sure your GPU has the latest driver from the NVidia website.

Thanks that’s helpful. Any way that I could confirm that? I’ve got a multimeter if that would be useful.
Also we have the below PSU that we ordered by mistake but could use if it would be any better (i assume not given the lower wattage) - what should we look for in a PSU?

EVGA 100-BR-0450-K1 450 BR, 80+ BRONZE 450W, 3 Year Warranty

That Evga isn't a great psu either but it's a damn site better than the ares one you're currently using.

Absolutely try swapping them out.

Mar 11, 2021
Hey all! We switched out the PSU to the EVGA one and presto, booted up fine! Thanks so much to you all - I was really lost and VERY much appreciate the help/guidance! Now - one last question - seems to me we should upgrade the PSU now to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Any suggestions for a sub-$100 PSU that would be better quality?

It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Solution
This Super Flower 550w Gold seems like it might make sense for us...right?

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower..._-super flower-_-9SIAMNPAY45109&source=region

One of the best psu platforms on the market so yes.

The 550w is plenty but with the 650w only being $15 more I'm inclined to agree.

Those are very good prices