[SOLVED] son's r8 upgrade, and what is allowed?

Jul 27, 2021
on a Dell forum I saw this r8 possibilities and I wanted to be sure before I buy stuff that I am reading it correctly. First of all his has a m2. 256 boot drive, and a 2tb hdd already in it. If i am reading it correctly I should be able to add a 2tb SSD to it. (their wording keeps saying hdd, but I know from the packing slip his has a hdd since it list 7200 rpm and it says it only takes up to 1tb on a 3.5 drive. I know I'll have to look inside it to be sure they didn't actually put a 2.5(? for some odd reason)? or maybe they just used its connections.? But my one real question remains. Am I correct in thinking I can add a 2 tb ssd without issues?

Solution
First of all, yes you can add an additional SATA based SSD. No issues if you want to just add another 1 or 2TB SSD via a free SATA port and you have 3 free with one being used...Sadly I still cannot see the specs but I found the specs...I am surprised that they only included a 256GB PCIe NVMe drive....They should have included a 500GB or 1TB as they are now so cost effective. In the future though at least you can upgrade to a 1 or 2TB PCIe NVMe drive as the primary drive like the Western Digital Blue series which are very cost effective by replacing the 256GB one..

This link shows what your R8 has and it states only one M.2 port but it also has 4 SATA ports for additional SSD's...
Am I correct in thinking I can add a 2 tb ssd without issues?

That's certainly the way I read those specs. It appears you could even add two of them.

Yeah, I'd look inside to confirm what's in there now and to find out where any added drives would be mounted. You may need adapters to mount them properly if you don't want to tie them down with velcro. I've never look inside an Alienware. Or the adapters may be included?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Alienware 460 Watt Power Supply
9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R)
Turbo Boost Technology)
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)
32GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti with 6GB GDDR6
Windows 10 Home 64bit English <- from his packing list with most of the irrelevant stuff removed

First of all, yes you can add an additional SATA based SSD. No issues if you want to just add another 1 or 2TB SSD via a free SATA port and you have 3 free with one being used...Sadly I still cannot see the specs but I found the specs...I am surprised that they only included a 256GB PCIe NVMe drive....They should have included a 500GB or 1TB as they are now so cost effective. In the future though at least you can upgrade to a 1 or 2TB PCIe NVMe drive as the primary drive like the Western Digital Blue series which are very cost effective by replacing the 256GB one..

This link shows what your R8 has and it states only one M.2 port but it also has 4 SATA ports for additional SSD's:

Reactions: JerrywB
Solution