[SOLVED] Son's system stopped posting

Solution
Can you elaborate on what you mean by VGA lights? Also have you tried removing all but 1 stick of RAM and try powering it on, try using a different stick of RAM and test all RAM slots with each unique stick of RAM. Also try resetting the BIOS for your motherboard, the most likely causes I can see for your machine not posting are: Bad RAM/RAM slot, corrupted running config for BIOS (more common than you might think), Hard-drive/storage drive failure. PSU could also be an issue but by your description it seems unlikely.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from JCBrynm : "Sons PC stopped posting gigabyte ga-ab350-gaming 3 / ryzen 1600"

Aug 29, 2018
Can you elaborate on what you mean by VGA lights? Also have you tried removing all but 1 stick of RAM and try powering it on, try using a different stick of RAM and test all RAM slots with each unique stick of RAM. Also try resetting the BIOS for your motherboard, the most likely causes I can see for your machine not posting are: Bad RAM/RAM slot, corrupted running config for BIOS (more common than you might think), Hard-drive/storage drive failure. PSU could also be an issue but by your description it seems unlikely.

Solution

JCBrynm

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Board has status LED's

From the manual "Status LEDs show wether the CPU, Graphics card, memory, and OS are working properly after system power on. If the VPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on that means the corresponding device is not working normally"

I have tried only using one stick, swapping both sticks one at a time through all slots and swapping the GPU to a different slot.

Bios has been reset by jumper and leaving it unplugged with cmos battery pulled for overnight. MB also has a bios backup and we've triggered that as well.

I've heard these Gigabyte boards had some issues, power supply is an EVGA 650 gold chich I'm not seeing any reports of failure on. Guess I'll contact Gigabyte tomorrow and see if it's still possible to RMA.

JCBrynm

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Yes, swapped out the gtx780 for a gtx570 I have hanging around. Also tried the gpu in a different slot.

TRENDING THREADS