Sony Aiming For 50 Million Xperia Sales Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony needs to get on board with the hardware (bigger batteries, bigger storage, etc) and the software, particularly the updates (or just get on board with Google for a Nexus phone of their own).
Then, and only then, they might have a shot at reaching their goal.

I love Sony's combination of elegant design and reliable electronics, but from a technical point of view their products are hard to recommend. Let's hope they can come up with some real innovation this year.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Sony needs to get on board with the hardware (bigger batteries, bigger storage, etc) and the software, particularly the updates (or just get on board with Google for a Nexus phone of their own).Then, and only then, they might have a shot at reaching their goal.[/citation]

No Sony just need to insert a microSD card slot in the Xperia U, S and P and then they WOULD HAVE HAD a winner. In fact Sony is a company run by clueless idiots like most big companies these days.

1) insert microSDcard slots in EVERY device!!!
2) provide FULL fuctionality of their former featurephones INCLUDING 2-way call recording!
3) provide non-bastardized versions of their devices with a pure Android experience and if you really want to ADD something, then add something USEFULL! Like 2-way callrecording for instance!

E.g. The Xperia U is a fantastic little device. Horribly let down by a measly 4Gb storage of which you have about -2GB left for actual use and NO bloody microSD-card slot! Bring that revised device out NOW WITH a microSDcard slot and Android 4.1 and it WILL sell. It's other capabilities are good, nice screen, love the collour bar at the bottom, it's reasonable loud, the weight is good, the price is good, the performance is reasonable for a dual core, it has enough ram, a jolly good camera (photos are a bit too yellow for my tast but its okay, really).... just that internal storage!

The problem is always the same with ppl like e.g. my mum. She ALWAYS manages to drop her phone in some water and then when the bloody thing broke she ALWAYS complain that she's lost the photo's that where on her phone!

There is a REASON why ppl want microSDcards, SONY!!! Listen to the people goddamnit!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Now I know how they have been losing +$1 billion this past year.

Their tablet is crap, their smartphones are crap, their TVs have fallen behind. Their laptops are overpriced, etc, etc.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
All someone needs to do is market a good smartphone for $199 with a micro SD slot.

Do that and the company can sell tons of them. If they can sell a tablet for 200 then a smart phone should be no problem.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The only thing Sony needs to do is go bankrupt. Their reputation was formed decades ago and their quality faltered along the way. They depend solely on brand recognition selling to uneducated customers. They only brand products other factories make so their devices are literally no better than anyone else's, yet they charge more. The one exception was their TVs, but they sold that share to Samsung. They consistently fail to deliver promised features or outright remove them. They try to force "new" forms of media they own the rights to so they can further profit. They could disappear from the market completely and nothing would actually be lost. Even when it comes to Playstation, all the 3rd party titles would just seep over to XBox.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
The only thing keeping SONY alive is the Playstation brand. They had their time, now it's Samsung's turn.
And they still try to foce you to buy their crappy expensive memory card on PS VITA....how much can they make from this?? They should just use SD cards instead of pissing off everyone and lose all the customers..big time idiots.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I agree with most of the comments on here.
-Micro SD, how much cost/weight/size can this really add? It's well worth the benefits.
-Less bloatware/faster updates
-Better internals, Adreno 200 reported in that Odin, really? same old GPU thats in my Desire and my brothers cheapo Wildfire S

They could leverage the PS brand more and release a new Xperia Play with monster internals(take the fight to Apples GPUs?), launch with good Playstation games, but this could hurt the poor PS Vita.....

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I agree, Sony has been failing for years. I think they even screwed up with their Playstation products. PS3 was so expensive at first. Xperia TL is a nice device. Reasonably priced as well. It could be why they are so optimistic. It has an HD display with a high ppi, SD card, FM Tuner, ICS, Snapdragon S4, Adreno 225. Take a look. I am tempted to pick one up myself. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sony-Xperia-TL_id7505

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
They are not getting any more of my money. I bought my son an Xperia Play last Christmas. It came with Android 2.3.6 with a promised upgrade to 4.0. It is a very good device but Sony decided to renege on the ICS upgrade, claiming it did not work with the Play gaming controls. Yet many developers were able to get it to work. Either Sony's developers are not good or they never intended to upgrade to ICS. Either way, I am through with Sony. I have a new Samsung TV on the wall and my son is getting an S3 this year.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Man, I used to be a huge fan of sony. I mean I would buy sony over everything else. Then the older I grew the more I realized they're overpriced products, with limited ability. They used to be innovation leaders but have become the mediocre followers. There's still a few things they are great at, the gaming market, movies, and TV's.

Their name is slowly diminishing and I wouldn't be surprised if they go under, or at least seriously downsize, within the next decade. The PS4 has a lot of weight to carry. Good luck Sony. I will come back to you for sure as long as you start to get your head in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.