Sony Aims to Sell Five Million PS4s by April

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
What's amazing is how the smartphone revolution has made these console numbers look insignificant.

Smartphones like the iPhone, are more expensive, have high profit margins and sell more on the opening day then consoles can sell in the first 4-6 months.

Amazing to contrast the stock price of the companies who did well in the smartphone space versus old electronic companies that couldn't.

Great for Sony on these numbers, but as in investor you still have to worry about being in Sony.

Johnny_C13

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Well, considering the PS3's launch was surrounded in negativity (dat price!), and STILL managed to sell 3.6mil... 5mil is definitely manageable.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Even though its outdated already when compared to my current gen PC, I will still pick one up for a few games that don't make it to PC. The Division comes to mind.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I think The Division is coming to PC

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Can it play games better than a $400 gaming computer? Probably not. It's also worth mentioning that a multitude of games are free for PC (in fact some of the most popular are). There won't be free games with the PS4. What am I missing? I think it's time to start phasing consoles out.

Show me a $400 gaming computer build, with OS, 8 core, 8 GB ram and if you can even build one for that, I bet the consoles will play it better as of the date the console launches. In 6 years, a $400 PC might beat it, but then the console will be $200 then.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
If console manufacturers took a page from the cell phone companies they could easily do this. If I could go to the store and buy the console for $100 and pay $20 a month for two years to use their console, I would totally get on board. Obviously you would still have the option of just buying the console straight up. Then after the initial two year contract is over, the monthly charge is reduced to say $10 a month (after the console and R&D is paid for). If you choose to cancel your account you are charged full price for the console.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'd say that they could sell 5 million, they've already past 1 million preorders. However, supply will have to meet demand for that to happen, can they really manufacture 5 million PS4's by April? I remember the PS3 being sold out at my local retail stores for months after it's release.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

If consoles keep my PC gaming stagnant even more I'm going to really start to disparage the console morons and their low budget systems.

elexor

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
That's bs the average gaming pc can do it. Been running 1440p for 5+ years and my pc isn't exactly top end. New consoles are finally rendering at 1080p lets see how long the devs last before they start sacrificing resolution and framerate for "better graphics".

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Can AMD even make that many processors including the ones for the Xbone, the APUs, and their GPUs? It might be a bigger drain than they can handle considering their only options are TSMC, GF, and Samsung.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If anything, these numbers are rather modest (production shortages?).

It's not the same business models, you iLols. Sony is LOSING money on each console (though not even remotely as much as they did with PS3). What they make money on is: games. Each sold console brings 2.5 games sold every year. With average price being 40$ that's 100$ per year. There are about 80 million PS3s in the wilds. Now go and compare numbers again.

GTA V made 1 billion during ONE WEEK. Now go compare that to entire "smartphone gaming" revenue...

Great for Sony on these numbers, but as in investor you still have to worry about being in Sony.
Oh dear...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Considering its GPU alone is about 200$, yeah, "probably not".

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Those bringing up resolution... why could a console run higher than 1080p right now, most people dont own 4k tvs... additionally, BF4 will run at 60fps on PS4

and as other have said, 5 million is easily obtainable, as long as production can meet demand

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
5 million units?! That means they will be constantly sold-out and on back order! Not good... Since almost nobody is buying the XBone... its going to tough finding a PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.