Sony Announces 17- and 25-inch OLED Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Kinda looks like a dishwasher and a microwave, why are they so thick and ugly? It's nice of Sony to use there standard pricing though.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I remember that 5 years ago it was sayd that OLED displays would replace LCDs, because former are better and cheaper in production.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
and here i am, wanting an oled monitor. at this rate with how much they cost, they may as well release sed monitors. a MASSIVE step above lcds, and at only twice the cost.

the company that wanted to go ahead with seds didn't because they would cost twice the amount as on lcd, and oled which should only cost 1-5$ to produce a scree, cost WAY the f@#% to much to buy.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I would guess the main reason these things cost so much isn't the cost of the technology per se, but the scale of manufacture. Economies of scale play a massive part in how efficient/costly it is to produce each unit.

tevarian

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
BVM are Sony's broadcast monitors, that is why they have HD-SDI inputs. They are not at all intended for desktop use, but for high end production and broadcast facilities. We used to pay $1500 for a 9" CRT. Not everything is intended for home use.

escogid0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
PPL!! These are true OLEDs! NOT OLED backlits, which are being sold at Best Buy. I.e. an OLED backlit display is still an LCD display. These however have every pixel as OLED!! Do your research!

G

[citation][nom]escogid0[/nom]PPL!! These are true OLEDs! NOT OLED backlits, which are being sold at Best Buy. I.e. an OLED backlit display is still an LCD display. These however have every pixel as OLED!! Do your research![/citation]

....you seem to be the one confused. Nothing is oled backlit, they are led backlit. I don't understand what you think people are thinking but you are interpreting it wrong.

Once more oled =/= led.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
GOSH FREAKIN DAMNIT!!!! I would LOVE an OLED monitor, but not at 1920x1080! I need at least 1920x1200! 2560x1600 would be even better, but it has to be 16:10. I don't watch movies on my computer, I watch them on my TV (reading from my computer). 16:9 works for TVs, but not on a computer. I lose too much to tool bars, tool panels, address bars, tabs, and menu bars. On a 16:9 screen I'm left with a sliver of content across the middle!

Nobody is going out specifically looking for 16:9 monitors, those who don't know are just buying a cheap wide monitor. They don't know or care what the aspect ratio is, they just want cheap, which OLED is not! The people who will benefit from OLED and will dish out the money prefer 16:10.

slob

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
And in the mean time, I've been enjoying my $249 23 inch led monitor for over a year now. It's been great to carry to lan parties. Much better than that old 50 lbs crt I had. It may not be OLED, but sheesh...

'Standard Sony pricing' is right!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I think I just swallowed my gum...., no thanks, I will stick with my relatively calibrated, somewhat contrasty display and buy a Camaro or something instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS