Sony Announces Free-To-Play Lineup For E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudieMurphy135

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Pretty obvious that the people above have never played a F2P game, very few are actually pay2win. Refusing to play a game just because it's F2P is extremely ignorant. Oh well, their loss!

But anyways, I'm really looking forward to Planetside 2, and it's pretty obvious that it isn't going to be pay2win from what we've seen and heard about the cash shop. The fact that it's F2P is a pretty huge plus if you ask me.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'd have an active Everquest 2 account right now if they hadn't mixed F2P players with subscription players. I was considering Vanguard - but they made that F2P too.

As far as F2P being "pay to win" I think most of them are a lot more "pay to win" than the people who play them acknowledge, but the biggest issue I have is with the player base. There are more than enough loser mentalities in MMOGs these days without having to deal with "players" who think the game is actually free to play. SOE offers these games with no subscription fee because they make MORE money off of F2P players than subscription players. Paying for access to content and gear costs the average F2P account holder more than $15/mo.

I don't have a problem with SOE offering F2P titles, or even making the games I like F2P and putting those players on their own server, as long as they don't pollute the subscription servers with F2P content. I won't play any MMOG that mixes the servers, or is F2P only. I'm not saying all the F2P games are bad, or are entirely bad, EQ2 was a very good game and likely still is. I'm just drawing the line at what I'm willing to put up with at "no F2P".

But the whole industry has little to no standards in player base these days, so I'm drawing the line at a very low standard anyway, and maybe that's pointless. The best way to play is to gather together a group of like-minded players and put everyone else on "ignore" so you don't have to hear stupid anal jokes, bigoted language, and ignorant comments about politics, religion, sex, and business.

I full agree with the PAY TO WIN comment. F2P makes way MORE money because while the account is free they sell every little item for money. At the end of the day, I would rather just play on a level field(Pay to Play) then in a game when if you pay, you increase your chances to win(some games go as far as to "rent" in game items, so people pay again and again.).

Some games just sell vanity(clothing and other "sick" looking items that do nothing) items. That is all fine, I don't honestly care about those as the do not effect the game balance.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Wow... just wow... Companies make games, and people complain about the game not being good enough. They try to make a better game, people complain it costs too much. They make F2P, people complain there's not enough F2P. They make new F2P, people complain that F2P sucks and they should just make regular games. Can we at least wait until the games come out and we see what's in them before we pile on about how crappy free games are?

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Looking forward to Vanguard, Wizardry Online, and Planetside 2. Just not enthusiastic about how they will be monetized, if EQ1 was an indication of how steep some of the prices will be.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I've never play an MMO and will definitely never play this F2P crap! The gaming industry has become nothing but a cesspool of greed design to find new and creative ways to, not only for a recurring fixed amount (in the case of MMO), but also for a speedier variable amount (F2P) for virtual items.

Thumb me down for this, but when they stop make pay-one-price games is the day I will stop gaming.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well now we know where those patented ad mechanism will be used...

and some f2p games don't require you buy anything, you just have to play a LOT to acquire everything.

briteball

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
why not charge 40-60 for a game then offer up the coop\mmo style of gameplay then offer up a micro-transaction shop for additonal material ?

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Why not just sell a game for $50-60 and offer up community-built mods for free, like we used to get with games like Unreal Tourney and Half-Life?

G

I know, it's going to suck having to play an amazing game for free...

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
SOE is such a terribly managed company. I cant believe that loser Smedley is still in charge over there. How he managed to keep his job after the debacle that was SWG is unbelievable.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Its always fun when you see someone spinning around and cant aim, they attack ONCE and your dead. mean while you have had to work hard for what you have and some 5 yr old kid that just spent $100 slaughtered you,. Thats not fun to me, I keep tring these F2P games but every time things like this happen. So I might try these but I have a bad feeling about it.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
The problem with Sony f2p model is there are all sorts of limits and you have to pay to get anywhere f2p should be free Aion online is really f2p there are no limits, no locked content, levels or skills.
Its not pay2win like other f2p games even if Sony games were really f2p i still would not play because of what they did to swg.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I'm just waiting for the day when in a F2P game I can go drink a "Mountain Dew" instead of a Mana potion, eat a "Taco Bell Taco Supreme" instead of murlock stew, and purchase my epic mount "Chevy Volt" instead of a Chocobo.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

They are only F2P because pretty much everything they have is terrible or outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.