Sony Announces New Xperia X Series Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Needs a MicroSD and Raw support.

This is a genuine question: Why do people request RAW support on a phone?

I used to be a bit miffed about not having it on my Z3, but then I asked myself, apart from wanting "the latest thing," what use will I have for RAW support? I only have a 64GB micro SD card, and 4K video tend to eat space for breakfast so where will I have space for the larger RAW photos? More importantly, will I sit for hours after taking the photos and mess around editing the photos with all the various tweaking options that RAW provides? My answer was no.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

I used to be a bit miffed about not having it on my Z3, but then I asked myself, apart from wanting "the latest thing," what use will I have for RAW support? I only have a 64GB micro SD card, and 4K video tend to eat space for breakfast so where will I have space for the larger RAW photos? More importantly, will I sit for hours after taking the photos and mess around editing the photos with all the various tweaking options that RAW provides? My answer was no.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

They're never going to bother with RAW support on low to mid-range phones, the average consumer doesn't even know what it is and those who actually need it wouldn't be using a phone camera. The only people who ask for it are people who want to check off another feature on the list when they're buying a phone.

What Sony really needs is a reasonable, well-priced phone. That would get them some traction. The Z-series phones have always been fantastic but they need something to get people's foot in the door first.

Status
Not open for further replies.