News Sony Becomes AMD's Largest Customer on Booming PS5 Sales

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Been having a blast with my PSVR 2, Horizon is glorious and I was never interested in the previous Horizon entries. RE Village VR and Pavlov are as incredible! I just hope Sony brings 3D and 360 video play feature soon.

Reactions: bit_user

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I wanted a PS5 for awhile, but it's been a long time since launch and since I'm not willing to pay scalper prices due to availability issues, I think that ship has sailed.

I really just need games like Demons Souls and other exclusives to come to PC, eventually. I don't care if I have to wait two years, that's fine.

I wanted a PS5 for awhile, but it's been a long time since launch and since I'm not willing to pay scalper prices due to availability issues, I think that ship has sailed.

I really just need games like Demons Souls and other exclusives to come to PC, eventually. I don't care if I have to wait two years, that's fine.
Not sure what country you live in but they've been available for some time now at MSRP. You could've done as I did and entered the queue at direct.playstation. Took about a month to receive mine.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This boom is not going to last for long. The reason for the surge is mostly because the supply of PS5 is so limited over the 3 years, and thus, the pent up demand. I guess consoles may be the go to option for people tired of having to pay top dollars for PC gaming graphic solution.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yep, that was me. I gave up PC gaming. Only console. The graphics are good enough now and they don’t even have to get any better than they are. Plenty good enough. They look and perform beautiful on OLED screens as well so you can have your giant TV with brilliant picture and colors and pure black

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Given where we are in the cycle, we would expect gaming to be down on a year-over-year basis," said Su.
I've seen bundle deals on Amazon and Newegg for a while, but Amazon still has a waiting list for the bare PS5 console.

...and, for the first time ever, I see it in-stock @ Newegg, for the $499 list price. So, maybe she's right and supply finally is catching up with demand.

I'm not sure how good of a thing this is for AMD, because the margins on console chips are generally a lot lower than CPUs/GPUs. If you take the dollar figures here and Sony's target for fiscal 2022 sales figures as a rough estimate you're looking at about $210/chip. So while it may be making up a big chunk of revenue I'd be surprised if it even made up half as much percentage wise in profits.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, that's why AMD wouldn't supply them with enough CPUs the last three years,
You've been called on these claims, before. And yet, you've provided exactly zero evidence of this allegation and continue to repeat it. Doing so can only serve to misinform and incite.

@InvalidError , @USAFRet what are the forum policies about trolling & knowingly spreading disinformation?

Last edited:
You've been called on these claims, before. And yet, you've provided exactly zero evidence of this allegation and continue to repeat it. Doing so can only serve to misinform and incite.

@InvalidError , @USAFRet what are the forum policies about trolling & knowingly spreading disinformation?
What evidence is need for this?!
Up until now consoles have been in very small supply while any other AMD product was selling just fine.
As soon as the CPU and GPU market crashed the consoles supply is plentiful.
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Evidence that AMD supplies Sony purely at AMD's discretion, rather than upon predetermined terms as would normally be expected for such a business relationship.

Up until now consoles have been in very small supply while any other AMD product was selling just fine.
From what I'd heard 7003 EPYC was almost unobtainable for many customers, well into 2022. Even desktop Ryzen 5000 processors had periods of low availability. Not to mention new AMD GPUs were also unobtainable until about mid-2022.

Furthermore, we don't have enough visibility into what were the limiting factors in PS5's supply and production. Lack of SoC dies seems the most likely limiting factor, but it uses 16 GB of GDDR6 for memory, and since the historic GPU shortage could've easily gobbled up much of the GDDR6 supply, that could well have sometimes been a limiting factor.

Finally, you're making an allegation without any evidence. You're not supposed to presume fault without some kind of evidence. To then pronounce AMD is acting in bad faith fits the textbook definition of libel.

It's not as if this was a one-off claim you made, either. It's something you've consistently brought out at every opportunity. Whether or not it's your intent, trolls make such inflammatory claims to incite a reaction. If there were at least some clear evidence, then at least it wouldn't be libelous.

You've been asked for evidence and still yet to provide any. Correlation does not equal causation.

BTW, here's some evidence that PS5 wafers have been supplied far in excess of what would be in AMD's best interest, considering the low margin on console SoC's:

"In Q4, AMD is set to use ~120K wafers for console SOCs, ~80K for PS5 + ~40K for SSX! This is ~80% of 7N wafers allocated to AMD in Q4. This console ramp is the main reason for lack of Zen 3 & Big Navi."​

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah, that's why AMD wouldn't supply them with enough CPUs the last three years, but now that the CPU market is down it's a good thing that they have a shackled customer that has to buy from them.
As soon as the CPU and GPU market crashed the consoles supply is plentiful.

Supply chain issues since COVID that have plagued all industries but especially certain things like Gaming consoles and PC GPUs have finally eased up for most things excluding the most bespoke of products in the past few months, yet somehow AMD has been specifically screwing around a long term corporate partner causing that specific issue in the name of profits, when there has been no indication of such. And in fact Sony has even commented they are produing as many PS5's as they can as fast as they can.

This site does have a policy against misinformation. You have made your claim, now please provide some evidence to back it up or do not post it in this thread any longer. Future unsubstantiated misinformation will be removed.