Sony Bungling PSVR Preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I think at this point looking for a low cost solution for VR is moot, with al of the very pricey requirements it has, I think we can rule it out for the low end and mainstream market.Even looking at this solution, lest we forget Sony says they want to create a add-on graphics box for this thing that's the size of a Wii,no telling how much is that going to cost and this is on top of the $1000 spent on the hardware thus far. Mark you its the cheapest thus far but for all but the enthusiast market its a very pricey proposition,espeically on PC.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I think at this point looking for a low cost solution for VR is moot, with al of the very pricey requirements it has, I think we can rule it out for the low end and mainstream market.Even looking at this solution, lest we forget Sony says they want to create a add-on graphics box for this thing that's the size of a Wii,no telling how much is that going to cost and this is on top of the $1000 spent on the hardware thus far. Mark you its the cheapest thus far but for all but the enthusiast market its a very pricey proposition,espeically on PC.

The required GPU box comes with for the $400 pricetag. The camera is the only mandatory bit that isn't included in the price. And it's still not certain yet whether or not the Move controllers will be necessary. Some games may support headset+regular controller.

So this is still the least expensive VR option at the moment, excluding Cardboard or Samsung's thing, which are not real attempts. And Sony is most definitely selling these at a loss, the same way they sell PS4s at a loss on launch.

But, it's still yet to be seen if this is going to be decent. Because we all know that consoles struggle to hold a steady, high framerate, and in the world of VR, low, stuttering framerates means super motion sickness.

Guys, sony has already stated that the hardware that comes with the Sony VR isn't a GPU, it just allows the PS4 to work with the headset.

Either way, the cost to get everything is still quite high. I don't really see a reason anyone getting into VR would pay into the PS4 ecosystem when it is going to be subpar to anything that can be produces on the PC.

Guys, sony has already stated that the hardware that comes with the Sony VR isn't a GPU, it just allows the PS4 to work with the headset.

Either way, the cost to get everything is still quite high. I don't really see a reason anyone getting into VR would pay into the PS4 ecosystem when it is going to be subpar to anything that can be produces on the PC.

Zapin

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
The PSVR lives in Sony's closed ecosystem so it will not push VR forward technologically but could affect the perceptions that the public may have about VR as a viable new platform. A bungled launch or poor games/experiences by a large player like Sony could have a very real negative effect on VR adoption.

Lets hope that in the end the PSVR is well received and does not go down in history as Sony's Virtual Boy.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Source? Because I just don't see how it could work any other way. It'd either be too low-resolution, or too low-framerate, or both.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I would like to congratulate Seth for including the Canadian price. Your friendly neighbors are happy :).

On another note, the original annoucement Sony made with the low price really was a bad move considering they weren't clear. I'm sure a lot of people that pre-ordered it aren't even aware they controllers aren't part of the bundle.

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

Source? Because I just don't see how it could work any other way. It'd either be too low-resolution, or too low-framerate, or both.

The Playstation 4 connection box contains no GPU but video handling circuitry. The PS4 renders at 60fps in more taxing games and then the connection box doubles the frames using reprojection. Sony also uses this technique in many of their TV-sets. This can cause artefacts but according to sony it shouldn't be too noticeable. PS4 also can render at 120fps but that requires a game with very low taxing graphics.

I don't have a source at hand but it's out there and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

You can also work it out logically. The PS4 only has USB 3.0 ports; it has nothing even close to the speeds needed for an external GPU.

alextheblue

Distinguished
On another note, the original annoucement Sony made with the low price really was a bad move considering they weren't clear. I'm sure a lot of people that pre-ordered it aren't even aware they controllers aren't part of the bundle.

Yeah this was either a clusterfudge or a well-calculated announcement to garner attention, depending who you ask. Either way I find their methodology to be irritating, and although I game on both console and PC, I'll look to PC for VR developments at this time.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

This is a good read about it on the Oculus site:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-examined/

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

So you are saying there isn't a reason to getting into VR unless the quality experience you are getting is the best there is to offer (at the highest price). Lower price, lower experience. Higher price, higher experience. Unless you have a shit stack of money, I would like to pay less because in the end its still VR

dstarr3

Distinguished

If you want to save money, you're better off waiting than buying budget VR now. Low-res and low-framerate VR will literally be nauseating and headache-inducing. Whereas the VR that stands a chance at being a decent experience is just going to be bloody expensive, because this is the first generation of all of this tech and they have mountains of R&D to pay off. The second and third generations are just going to be better experiences for less money.

Suomi

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I have to say that this article is written with an attitude. Objectively thinking, Sony could only approach it with the stand alone unit price. After all, the most potential clients are the early adopters and most loyal Sony customers who have already purchased the camera and the move controllers with PS3. Considering just how much bad press has been posted on the console add on hardware like the Move and Kinetic, VR is a very risky investment from Sony and I for one appreciate their guts on doing this. Potentially this could a huge step for gaming, but of course, the ones who are not in, do not want it to succeed.

toddybody

Distinguished
This article sounds "pissed off"...relax Tom's.

It would be a better opportunity to discuss the price/experience of both headsets (i.e., Sony VR will cost you ~ USD 850.00 for 1080p@60hz...Rift will cost you ~$1400.00 for 2K@90hz...etc). I personally think the PS VR is a huge waste of money, and prone to motion sickness.

UngaBungaAmbassador6

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
s anyone noticed that the exact same article title has been spam blasted out to other websites who are paid to publish the same title and using the "bungle" wording. You either have the money to buy it or you don't. No one cares except the competition whoever spam blasted the article and paid other websites to basically repeat it thousands of times. They sure hate Sony lol

Status
Not open for further replies.