Sony CDRW CRX160 failure! Software or Hardware?

G

I've just bought Sony CRX160E CDRW 12x8x32 but as yet, I still haven't managed to burn one CD succesfully (even at 1X speed). I have CeQuadrat WinOnCD v3.7. I have tried doing a test run first and it completes the test-write succesfully but when it begins to write to the cd, the buffer becomes under-run. My waste-bin is starting to fill up with 5%complete failures!!!!

System Spec:
Gigabyte GA-6VXE7 PIII 700
Voodoo3 3500
256Mb PC100

Help Desperately required!

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I have problems too.
I recently put a sony CRX160 into a friends machine.

Asus A7M266
T-bird 1000
256 PC133
Sometimes it will complete a CD, but mostly not. When I try to enable DMA on the drive it either causes a conflict in device manager on the seconday IDE controller, and both your CD-roms disappear (you have to remove the PCI IDE controller and reboot to get them back, and it takes DMA off again) or with the drive by itself DMA is enabled but locks up the system when you try to burn a CD and you must reboot. I was told to try the latest drivers for my motherboard, but that didn't change much.

I know this doesn't really help you any, but maybe I can get some help here, too. Have you tried enabling DMA? On another friends computer we couldn't burn above 4x of 8x until we enabled DMA.