Sony Changed DRM Gears After Negative Xbox One Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Microsoft has shot themselves in the dick at every turn. This is exactly what heppens when you start buying into the "corporations exist to make money!" line of bullshit. Now microsoft has NO ONE in charge that knows ANYTHING about technology. They're all accountants and business people that only care about money.

Corporations exist to produce a product or service. Making money is the side-effect of performing your main function. The instant you switch priorities and put "making money" at the top of the list, the entire place is going to go down in flaming wreckage.

asukafan2001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So everyone's white knight finally shows its true colors. Nearly everyone in the U.S. has been bagging on microsoft for there DRM policy and now it we find out sony was doing the same thing.

I'm sure all the sony fanboys will disregard this and continue bashing microsoft. However, i find it ironic that microsoft is being punished for being honest and upfront about what they were doing. While Sony, who was anything but gets a free pass for basically doing the samething microsoft did and as soon they found people didnt like this they changed there tune.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Oh shocker, the PS4 and the XBoxOne were gonna do the same thing, I am so surprised (sarcasm BTW). I figured this from the beginning just that MS was upfront while Sony was gonna try to hide it and be sneaky.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
in the business that is the console wars, the first impression is the most important. if sony had announced drm plans at e3, they wouldnt have had near the amount of preorders they already have. that first impression won over an immense amount of customers from the competitor and made them the favorite by far of the 3 consoles. this decision was the best business decision they couldve made for e3. microsoft made the big mistake of pissing over their customers to pull back only 2 weeks later. sony just saved themselves all of the xb1 problems.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
CheesyHotDogPuff , June 29, 2013 1:37 AM
Is it just me or is it impossible to up or down-vote comments?

is not just you, something is really wrong on Tom's

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007

Another example of how competition benefits consumers. If Nintendo was the only competition then DRM and an always-on connection requirement would be mandatory.

Parapraxis

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Hey Kevin, Give me ONE source where Sony said that had plans similar to Xbox One.

The article you linked to said nothing of the sort, it said that Sony saw how people were reacting and capitalized on that with their marketing decisions, as in to make a point of the fact that they don't have this DRM on PS4.

NOTHING to do with changing the system itself.

Your title is completely misleading, maybe you should double check your facts.

Tim Hensley

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Everyone needs to read the "source" (link provided in article and below) where the author alleges "SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida admitted to Famistu magazine this week that Sony changed its stance on DRM after hearing all the negative feedback stemming from the Xbox One."

Because absolutely NO WHERE in the source does that ever come up. This article is VERY misleading and the author is clearly trying to push a narrative that is simply NOT TRUE.

Source provided by author: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465674/sce-japan-heads-discuss-the-ps4-e3-and-the-near-future

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
This is a lesson Microsoft should learn. I've been with Xbox for years and all of my Xbox 360 games were worthless for Xbox One. That is it. Never ever to buy any shit from Microsoft... Non-MS products in my house...shit period....

The forums/comments have been a train wreck ever since they "upgraded" them and they just keep getting worse.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

While entirely true, I do have to pose a question to you and at least a few others. Do you people *really* believe that Sony isn't chomping at the bit to get DRM into their games and the *only* reason they aren't doing it at this very moment is because they know it will cost them money to do so? Do you believe Sony are your buddies and they just wouldn't do such a nasty thing as DRM to a bunch of swell guys and gals like you?

Sony's next hardware - or perhaps subscription service - foray into gaming after the PS4 will be DRM'd to the gills. Why? This is coming. Heck, it's already here and in the process of becoming the norm. If you are sitting here patting Sony on the back for being so wonderful to you and treating MS like the enemy, do you not remember just last gen where Sony forced unnecessary Blu-ray drives onto gamers at great expense, telling us that gamers could "just work harder" to afford a luxury like the PS3? This company is not your friend. They are simply holding back on something they would *happily* do at the drop of a hat because they know it is currently not in their best interest.

I don't particularly like any of these companies for how they are, but it just shock to see how naïve some people.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Sorry fanboys, Sony's just a good liar. They were constantly deceptive with the ps3 so I don't know why it's a surprise for you. After their big E3 show they actually stated they were only guaranteeing a lack of DRM on their titles and 3rd parties were still free to do it (which they do now, like EA's online pass). Microsoft needs better PR people, they wanted to sell console gamers a complete change in what they were comfortable with and didn't seem to expect a negative reaction. I don't need a Masters in marketing to know that was idiotic. Understand this, the issue is NOT with the console developers, they have no business concerns over software piracy or copyright protection, easy to pirate consoles actually will be more popular. Why do you think the DS and the early PSPs sold so well? It's the software that's getting pirated, the publishers paying the cost for exceedingly expensive games are the ones who want DRM, DLC, F2P, and all those other buzzwords that make old gamers cringe. It's the publishers putting pressure on consoles to conform to what they want no matter what lies they're trying to sell now about "Oh we didn't want DRM, it was Microsoft's idea!". Sony and MS are both dependent on 3rd party titles, those systems aren't going to sell if they don't carry the next CoD, MGS, and Final Fantasy. Nintendo is the only one who can stay afloat on their own titles and defy AAA devs. Exclusive games sell consoles, not hardware. This is why indie devs are becoming more important now. Sony understood this and has been heavily courting indies, even Nintendo is relaxing their historically tight standards. Microsoft has been giving indies the cold shoulder, and they're going to pay for it in the future.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Sony have just proved they are opportunistic, but I still don't trust them, rootkit on audio CDs? They will secretly add DRM later on and apologise when they get caught like always. Microsoft's only crime was honesty and disclosure and somehow that has been viewed as a bad thing.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Funny how every time Sony makes a move to get some money, its a smart business move, bur when Microsoft wants to make money their name spells like 'M$' and they are greedy bastards.
Glad to be a pc gamer, and not be a part of the console community.

Status
Not open for further replies.