Sony Claims Third Place in Smartphone Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony? Just goes to show the USA isn't the whole world, because I can't think of anyone that I know with a Sony smartphone. AT&T has, like, two Sony models, both $99.99, that I didn't even look at before upgrading...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]More competition for the iPhone; let the slaughter commence :)[/citation]May the hills run red with the blood of lawyers.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Heh, I actually have a Sony Xperia Play phone right now, but it's getting shelved on Thursday when my Samsung Galaxy Note II arrives via FedEx ;)

G

I'd like for this to be true. What are some of the Sony models that are the top sellers?

aragis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I wish Sony never made the PS Vita, but instead integrated hardcore gaming with their mobile devices. Psp had uber hardware compared to the phones in that time but now a Note 2 is perhaps more powerful than a Vita and has an HD display.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aragis[/nom]I wish Sony never made the PS Vita, but instead integrated hardcore gaming with their mobile devices. Psp had uber hardware compared to the phones in that time but now a Note 2 is perhaps more powerful than a Vita and has an HD display.[/citation]
The GPU in the Vita is still pretty powerful by mobile standards. It's comparable to the SGX543MP4 found in the iPad 3, while also having to drive far fewer pixels. The Vita uses this extra horsepower to enable anti-aliasing, something we don't really see in the tablet arena yet.

The Vita is a good console, Sony has just been making bad decisions with it. Card locking and expensive proprietary storage/accessories are just a few. Everything about the Vita just screams paranoia over anti-piracy.

G

Sony? Seriously? I wouldn't be caught dead with one. They are kinda arrogant and make a lot of stupid moves like lots of DRM and suing 10 year olds for jail-breaking their products. I'd rather buy from a less destructive less greedy company.

Maybe it's just me but I can't stand those cooperate people at Sony.

showcase0712

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

ya, but u dont need AA when you got over 300ppi on a screen... you dont need to blend pixel edges when u cant even see em.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I still think Sony is going to lose market share for at least it's phones for next year given all of the other more widely popular phones that are on the market now.

I bet if someone went to a AT&T/Sprint/Verison/etc. store and wanted to buy an Xperia they would look at them like they were crazy and try to get them to buy something else instead.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Can a phone pass the drop test? Sony = Yes, Iphone = No
Can a phone be water resistant? Sony = yes, Iphone = No
Can u operate underwater? Sony = Yes, Iphone = No
Which phone look sexier? Sony
Which one is cheaper? Sony

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]aragis[/nom]I wish Sony never made the PS Vita, but instead integrated hardcore gaming with their mobile devices. Psp had uber hardware compared to the phones in that time but now a Note 2 is perhaps more powerful than a Vita and has an HD display.[/citation]

I wish people here would stop having this view. more powerful =/= better for gaming. and I believe its a given that for most hardcore games, buttons>>>>>>>touchscreen. sony already tried to do hardcore gaming phone(xperia play), but they didnt support as well as they should have and let it die. a note 2 may be more powerful, but is it better for gaming? no...

I actually didnt expect sony to be anywhere near the top. I havent seen a sony phone in ages. actually thought htc was closer to iphone and samsung.

G

lol, lots of people are going to be pissed off in the next few months. I've never seen such a poorly executed line as Xperia. Great hardware, top-tier price, terrible, terrible implementation, gimmicky Sony-made crap cluttering up the interface, nonexistent device support after POS. If it weren't for me being cheap, I would have dumped this piece a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.