Sony Digital 8 Camcorder USB problem

This camera works fine on my laptop with XP pro. However, when I connect it to my desktop with XP home I get a message that says the USB driver contains an .inf file that is for windows 95 or later and refuses to install. I have tried loading the latest USB drivers from Sony with no luck. Searching Windows help leads me to believe it is a problem with USB compite devices and sld(??) files. I just cannot work out why it works on one system and not the other. Help??

USB is for downloading stills and as such you should just be able to use
windows explorer to do this job without extra drivers. For video use
firewire (ieee1394/i-link)
Graham

"Tony F" <Tony F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This camera works fine on my laptop with XP pro. However, when I connect
> it to my desktop with XP home I get a message that says the USB driver
> contains an .inf file that is for windows 95 or later and refuses to
> install. I have tried loading the latest USB drivers from Sony with no
> luck. Searching Windows help leads me to believe it is a problem with USB
> compite devices and sld(??) files. I just cannot work out why it works on
> one system and not the other. Help??

Graham,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that firewire is the better option. However, at the moment I do not have a firewire card. The camera is sold with USB streaming and works with my XP pro computer but not the XP home edition. I just need XP home to recognise the USB driver for this device and everything would be fine. I don't need the higher quality of firewire at the moment.

Tony F